Friday, January 17, 2014

Weekend Happenings, Old-Fashioned Applesauce Spice Cake, Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies, Pinterest Stuff (107 Gifts for Men Who Have Everything, Root Beer Float Basket, Candy Valentine's in the Mail)

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Basketball... Does this season ever end?

No.

No, it doesn't.

At least, not until February 13!

And aren't you glad!


"HALT!"


And then the Chick on the other team makes a run for it.


And Roxie runs alongside tying to anticipate her every move.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.


I love to watch Claire catch a ball. She kind of catches it to the side.

It's hard to explain, but neat to watch.


Kesley has it covered.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Mike, Austin, Grandmother and I visited The Irondale Cafe this past week. I would give you a Restaurant Review, but I did not partake of the food. (I had a huge breakfast that morning with Roxie, and I didn't feel the need to eat again around the noontime hour.)

I will tell you The Irondale Cafe has three dining rooms, black and white checked tablecloths and fairly newly-renovated floors and ceilings.

Very nice atmosphere.

And from what I could tell from Austin, Mike and Grandmother, the food was plenty good!



Austin and Mike... and a little red caboose.

I love restaurants with photo ops in front.

Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies

As you know, I enjoy any recipe that begins with a boxed cake mix... and these cookies are no exception.

You will need the following:

6 tablespoons butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 Duncan Hines® Red Velvet Cake Mix
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon lemon zest

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter and set aside to cool.

2. Place powdered sugar and cornstarch in shallow dish. Mix with a fork to blend.

3. Place cake mix, cooled butter, eggs and lemon zest in large mixing bowl. Mix by hand until well blended and a dough forms.

4. Form dough into 1" balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place on cool, ungreased baking sheets about 2" apart.

5. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, in center of oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

6. Store in airtight container with wax paper or parchment separating layers.

This isn't a terribly sweet cookie, but it is pretty, light and tasty.



Old-Fashioned Applesauce Spice Cake

You will need the following:

1 Duncan Hines Signature Spice Cake Mix
3 large eggs
1 21-ounce jar of apple pie filling
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped nuts
1 container Creamy Home-Style Classic Vanilla Frosting
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 13" x 9" pan.

2. Empty into separate bowl and dice apple pie filling.

3. Combine cake mix, eggs, apple pie filling and oil in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Pour into bake pan.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack. Turn right-side up. Cool completely.

5. For frosting, combine frosting and cinnamon. Stir until blended. Spread over cooled cake.

NOTE - I did not add the nuts to the cake. I sprinkled them on top of the icing.

ANOTHER NOTE - I used Cream Cheese Icing... because I like it better, you see.

ONE MORE NOTE - This cake is incredibly moist. One of Roxie's friends had a bite from her lunch this week, and now I am scheduled to make an Old-Fashioned Applesauce Spice Cake for her 17th birthday in August.

I would appreciate it if someone out there would remind me when the time draws near!

Pinterest Stuff

I found this list of "107 Gifts for Men Who Have Everything" on Pinterest. (I'm only going to share my favorite dozen.)

1. Learn to Fly Experience - One airplane lesson does not a pilot make!

2. Personal Submarine ($2,000,000) - It's bright yellow. I didn't know if that would influence your decision... or not.

3. Killer Whale Submarine ($100,000) - Super cool... and much more affordable than the aforementioned yellow one.

4. Bonsai Tree - I don't think Mikie would truly appreciate a Bonsai Tree.

5. Hot Tub Boat ($42,000) - I am SO starting an envelope for this today!

6. Fighter Pilot for a Day ($999 and UP) - I don't think so.

7. Zoltar Machine ($9,000) - Remember the Tom Hanks movie, Big? Yep. It's the same fortune telling machine.

8. Jellyfish Tank - Don't laugh. This is a great gift. So relaxing.

9. Original Bacon Spread - One of the most affordable gifts on the list... and I'm thinking it would be one of the most appreciated.

10. Power Nap Capsule ($25,000) - Inspired by NASA studies, it ramps up concentration and reaction time by providing a semi-enclosed. yet comfortably spacious napping environment, creating an ideal setting for the most therapeutic naps he has ever experienced. (Forget Mikie. I'm the one who would be using this item.)

11. A Genuine PT Boat ($1,000,000) - Remember McHale's Navy? The restored boat carries over 60 years of history with it... along with several of his friends as he takes his new prized possession out into the water.

12. Flying Hovercraft ($190,000) - Looks fun, but I'm going to have to pass.

In all fairness to ME, Mikie has already received two of the 107 gifts. He has participated in the Race Car Driving Experience AND Whitewater Rafting.

Only 105 to go!

Valentine's Day Gifts

Root Beer Float Kit Basket

You will need the following:

A Basket
Root Beer
Vanilla Ice Cream
Ice Cream Scoop
Fun Straws
Card - Valentine... You float my boat!

I would add a fun movie to the basket, too.

Candy Valentine's in the Mail

Send boxes of candy through the mail. If they are under 13 ounces you can slap a stamp on them and put them in the mailbox.

NOTE - I haven't tried this personally, but I want to this year. (I'm going to check with my Post Office before I put a bunch of boxes of candy in my mailbox!)

Weekend Happenings

1. Roxie, Mike and I are heading to Pell City for a basketball game tonight.

2. We'll be finishing up and heading home while Josh goes to the movies with a couple of friends.

3. And Austin will be working at The Chick.

4. I'll give you a play-by-play of our Saturday activities on Monday. Big, BIG plans. I don't want to jinx anything.

5. Sunday, we'll be celebrating Katie's 20th Birthday after church, so expect some pics from that event Monday morning, too!

Have a great January weekend. I'll be back Monday with a few more basketball pics, details from our "surprise" weekend, NO new recipes (I am NOT cooking this weekend) and more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter