Monday, January 27, 2014

Mindless Monday, Pioneer Woman's Braised Beef Brisket, Engagement Countdown, Quotable Quotes

Good Monday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Basketball continues until mid-February. It's a pretty long season, and I'm thankful I love watching basketball.

If Roxie was into curling, I would be in trouble.

No offense to any curlers reading A Simple Life today!

Good luck at the Olympics!

But here in Basketball Land, it's a three-point thang!


ONE...


TWO...


THREE! SWISH!

And then it's a hip thang!


Joy...


Kesley...


Alyssa.


I had EIGHT ponytail shots, but Joy's was the best.


Any guesses who won Friday night's game?

Anyone?

Anyone?

RANDOMNESS #2 - The Chick wants to go on a mission trip to Guatemala this Summer with our church.

I don't know if you are aware, but even though Guatemala is a country located in the same hemisphere and on the same continent as Gardendale, Alabama, it is still very, very far away.

I don't know if you remember, but The Boy got on an airplane when he was 20 and flew to a different country. This was also known as his Marching Southerners' London trip.

I don't know if I told you at the time, but I, the Maternal Unit, did not care for the long distance travel then (when The Boy was 20), and I'm having more than a little trouble with it now (when The Chick is only 17).

In reality, Mike and I are very excited for her, and we know God will be with her while she is doing His business in Guatemala.

Also, in reality, I'm having a little trouble breathing right now... So I'm going to move on to other, less worrisome topics.

Quotable Quotes

"Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one's life with pomp and blare... perhaps it crept to one's side like an old friend through quiet ways." Lucy Maud Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables)

Oh, how I love this quote.

Pioneer Woman's Braised Beef Brisket

Okay.

I did it.

I made my first EVER brisket.

And it was good.

Amen.

You will need the following:

2 cans beef consomme'
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cup soy sauce
5 cloves chopped garlic
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
10 pounds beef brisket

1. Combine first five ingredients in large roasting pan (disposable is fine). Place brisket in the marinade, fat side up. Cover tightly with foil. Marinate in refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.

2. When ready to cook, place pan covered in foil into a 300 degree oven. Cook brisket for approximately 40 minutes per pound.

3. When fork-tender, transfer whole brisket to a cutting board. Slice against the grain and place slices back into the cooking liquid. Serve immediately, spooning juice over the slices.

4. You may store pan in fridge for up to two days or freeze for use at a later date. If fat collects and hardens at the top, remove and discard.

5. Brisket is great with mashed potatoes, with the juice spooned over the top. It’s also great on a sandwich with melted cheese.


And as promised last Friday, a picture of meat!

Engagement Countdown

I have a very sweet friend named Cam. Cam has four children. Luckily for me, two of her kids are a little older than Austin (my oldest).

I have watched and learned a great many things from Cam, and I've been able to put several of those things into practice.

When Cam's oldest son, Jordan, became engaged, his wedding date was over a year away from the engagement date.

That's a long time in Engagement World.

Cam bought Jordan and Sarah a gift each and every month before their actual wedding with a countdown message on a card on top of the gift. ("Six more months to go!" You get the idea!)

It was fun and sweet and it made a really long engagement go by a little quicker.

I copied her idea when Austin and Melia got engaged. Since they are getting married October 25, I have given them a wrapped "engagement" gift on the 25th of November, December and January (so far).

This weekend, the note read," Nine more months to go!"

Oh... my... goodness! We are already in single digits!

The gifts aren't elaborate or super expensive. (So far they have included kitchen towels, an engagement Christmas ornament and a covered Pyrex baking dish.)

It's a wedding thang, you know.

Have a terrific day. I'll be back Friday with... Well, I'll be back Friday.

Take care, and I'll talk to you the end of the week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter