Friday, March 22, 2013

Weekend Happenings, Taco Tater Tot Bake, Blog Linkage, Retro Easter Idea (2012)

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Spring Break No. 1 is almost over (Roxie's) and Spring Break No. 2 (The Brothers') is just beginning.

Roxie spent a lot of time in Tennessee this past week. After we came home from our Nashville trip, she left Tuesday morning with a friend to do the "Chattanooga" thing. She came home yesterday morning and as I type this, she is hanging out with her Dad at The Original Pancake House.

I'm not sure, but I think we may go to the mall some time this weekend since rain seems to be in our future.

Mike only took off one day this week for Spring Break (today) because a whole week off when Roxie was going to be out and about seemed a little wasteful.

He's also going to take a day off next week after we get the guys' work schedules. The original plan was FISHING, but it may be a little cool/wet/winter-like for that to happen.

Plan B includes a trip to Hoover Tactical to use their Christmas Gift Certificates, the GI-Joe movie and another breakfast at The Original Pancake House.

Personally, I'm hoping for Plan B because I want to see the movie and eat a few crepes!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Did I mention the SEC Basketball Tournament was in Nashville the same weekend we were in Nashville? Well, it was.

Did I mention the SEC Basketball Tournament is held in an arena directly across the street from The Country Music Hall of Fame? Well, it is.

Did I mention Nashville has the BEST parking in the world, and we found parking only two blocks from the museum AND our restaurant of choice? Well, we did.

After our trip to the museum, we were less than one block from Jack's Bar-B-Que. The Brothers and I decided to get a table, and Mike and Roxie went to The Big Gold Van to pay for more parking.





Nashville has so much history, but I love the "new," too.


And I especially love how the "old" stays the same, and the "new" just peeks over it a little bit.


You know you're in for a culinary treat when the sign of your eating establishment is bright, bright red... with flying piggies all over it.


I must admit, I was a little nervous about our dining experience. Jack's is a cafeteria-style restaurant, so you stand in line while workers fill your plate. The dining room was incredibly small. People were standing in line out in the street, so the door was open and it was hot and stuffy in the tiny downstairs eating area.

I noticed several signs which said "Extra Seating Upstairs." I told Mikie what I wanted, and went to check out the "extra seating."

I know! It was empty, large and cool. And guess what else?

It stayed empty, large and cool. Jack's Bar-B-Que rocks!

We went back to the hotel until time for The Grand Ole Opry!


Who doesn't love Ricky Skaggs?

The Chick. The Chick does not love Ricky Skaggs.


And Steven Curtis Chapman? Who doesn't love Steven Curtis Chapman?

The Chick. The Chick thinks he's okay, but not that great.


Oh... my... goodness! Charlie Daniels... The Devil Went Down to Georgia... AWESOME! Who doesn't love 76 year-old Charlie Daniels?

The Chick. The Chick doesn't care for fiddle players.


Yeah. This picture is inaccurate. Roxie's smile is totally FAKE!

But doesn't she look pretty?

RANDOMNESS #3 - Retro Easter Idea (2012) - I'm reposting this from last year's Easter blog post.

I promised my brother-in-law, Tommy, he could have an easy Easter this year. Most years, he is running around a mall chasing and photographing teenagers (Amazing Race - Easter Style), driving around Trussville in search of the elusive inflatable purple Easter Bunny (Easter Video Scavenger Hunt) or starting fires with a piece of flint and some straw (Survivor - Easter Island).

He was tired.

He wanted an Easter nap.

He deserved an Easter nap.

So this year (and this year only), I caved.

I decided to make Easter bags for all the cousins. I then bought a TON of Dollar Store Candy, and we played a series of games.

The first game was Spoons. Of the six kids playing, whoever lost and didn't get a spoon that round DID NOT get a piece of candy put into their bag. (We played six rounds of Spoons.)

Next, we played Farkle. When you roll the dice and have no points, that is called a Farkle, and the next player gets to take a turn. Whenever someone had a Farkle, everyone else got candy except for the "Farkler."

After playing Farkle awhile, the bags were getting pretty full.

To end the competition, every kid had to roll the five dice three times. For every "five" they rolled, they received a piece of candy in their bag.

Then it was time to count the candy.

The three top winners each won a $10 Regal Gift Certificate... and everyone won a bag of candy.

The only "Easter-y" thing about this year's competition was the colorful Easter bags filled with candy.

That, and the happy teens with movie cards!

Next year, Tommy... Easter - Whose Line Is It?

The Enchanting Belinda Says - Actually, I'm still not sure what our "activity" will be for Easter 2013. I have two or three ideas, and I have to decide today or tomorrow because we're due at Grandmother's house THIS Sunday.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I'll have to let you know.

Blog Linkage - Click on eighteen25 under My Blog List and read yesterday's post entitled "Dino Eggs." Cute, cute idea.

Also, click on the word "this" at the bottom of the post. It will take you to a blog post which will give you 40 non-candy Easter Egg filler ideas.

Simple, inexpensive and fun.

Taco Tater Tot Bake

I found this on Pinterest Wednesday, and I made it last night. I loved it. Mike and the kids liked it. I will be serving it again.

You will need the following:

1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 package taco seasoning
1 (16 ounce) bag frozen corn
1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced and drained
1 (12 ounce) can black beans, drained
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
1 (16 ounce) package frozen tater tots
1 (10.5 ounce) can red enchilada sauce

1. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.

2. Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Add in ground beef/turkey, onion, and garlic. Cook until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.

3. Add in taco seasoning, frozen corn, green chilies and beans. Cook until heated through.

4. In a large bowl, combine the meat mixture, 1 cup cheese and tater tots. Mix until combined.

5. Pour about 1/3 of the enchilada sauce on bottom on 9" x 13" baking dish. Add in tater tot meat mixture and smooth until flat.

6. Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.

NOTE #1 - This is a BIG recipe. You will have enough for a meal for five with plenty of leftovers.

NOTE #2 - I didn't serve any side dishes with this meal except for fruit. It is tasty and very filling.

NOTE #3 - If you don't care for black beans AND/OR corn, this is not a recipe for you and yours. It has a lot of black beans and corn throughout!

ENJOY!

Weekend Happenings

Okay. Once again, I don't have many concrete plans. I only have plans written down in the faintest pencil markings you will ever see.

Because "Moms plan, and teenagers laugh," you see.

I think one of the kids will be home tonight. I don't know which one.

On Saturday, I think I may be Galleria-bound with The Chick, but it depends on weather, friends, hair, other plans and if she's in a "shopping mood," or not.

On Sunday, I KNOW The Faulkner Five will be attending church, and I KNOW we will be going to Grandmother's for my side of the family's Easter celebration.

I KNOW I'm making pastel-colored deviled eggs and peach-colored mandarin salad.

I KNOW we'll be playing some sort of marvelous game. I DO NOT KNOW which marvelous game it will be.

I KNOW I'm going to enjoy being here, there and everywhere with Mike, Austin, Joshua AND/OR Roxie at any given time during the weekend.

I KNOW I'm going to have to be flexible.

Ugghhh!

I hate the word "flexible" as much as The Chick hates the word "bluegrass!"

Have a fantastic weekend. It will be rainy and cool here in Central Alabama... not very Spring-like at all, but we'll make the best of it. The malls are screaming our name!

Take care, and I'll talk to you Monday.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter