Monday, July 2, 2018

The Pioneer Woman's Key Lime Pie, Granny's Chocolate Pound Cake, The Chick Came Home, Just Another Zoo Day AND Impromptu Splash Pad Fun

Good Monday evening!

Remember in the LAST post how I told you about ALL the things we were going to talk about in the NEXT post?

Do you?

Well, I did the very best I possibly could, and the results are below...

The Pioneer Woman's Key Lime Pie

You will need the following for the crust:

18 whole graham crackers
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

You will need the following for the filling:

1 tablespoon lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice
2 whole egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. For the crust, crush crackers in a food processor or Ziploc bag. Pour them into a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter. Press into a pie pan and bake for 5 minutes or until golden and set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.

3. For the filling, mix lime zest, lime juice, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Add in condensed milk and mix on high until smooth and thick. Pour mixture into crust and bake for 15 minutes.

4. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least one hour (more if possible).

5. Serve with sweetened whipped cream and more grated lime zest.

Granny's Chocolate Pound Cake

You will need the following:

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup Crisco
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 16 ounce can Hershey’s chocolate syrup

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. (The "275" is NOT a typo.)

2. Cream margarine, shortening and sugar.

3. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well.

4. Add vanilla.

5. Sift dry ingredients. Add alternately with milk.

6. Add chocolate syrup.

7. Mix well.

8. Bake in greased and floured 10" tube pan for 1 hour 45 minutes. (Forty minutes into the baking, I open the oven door and lightly place a piece of foil over the cake so the top doesn't burn.)

NOTE - This cake is very tall, dense AND moist. It gets better the second and third day. It can also be frozen in slices for another time!

ANOTHER NOTE - I served this cake by slicing it in the 10" tube pan. It rises to the very top of the tube pan, and I didn't want to try to remove it. The individual slices came out nice and neat.

RANDOMNESS #1 - Wardrobe Malfunction - This story is in the process of being written. It is far from finished, and quite honestly, it is causing me great stress trying to finish it before I post the stuff I am currently ready to post.

Basically, I'm trying to say I need another week.

RANDOMNESS #2 - The Chick Came Home - Roxie arrived in Atlanta at 9:00 a.m. this morning after spending 30 hours traveling back to us from Cape Town, South Africa. Mike and I picked her up at the airport, and immediately took her to Chick-Fil-A.

It appears you can jump off bridges, jump out of airplanes, dive with sharks, play with penguins, climb mountains in the dark and walk with elephants...

But you cannot find a Chick-Fil-A sandwich in all of South Africa!

HA!

TAKE THAT, South Africa!

USA! USA! USA!

Also, I have to give credit where it is due. If it hadn't been for a beautiful girl named Rushton, most of the pics below would not have been available. Roxie took many and posted a few, but Rushton unknowingly kept me sane during the five weeks The Chick was gone.

Did I mention Roxie went on a Big Five Safari?

Well, she most certainly did!








If I ever go on a real safari in a vehicle like the one above, I WILL be sitting in the middle.

Definitely.

In the middle.


There are so many more of these beautiful shots, but these will give you the general idea!


The beach was within walking distance from where Roxie was staying, and although it was pretty chilly, she went fairly often from what I can tell from pics and conversations and texts.


Going on this cave excursion was not a favorite. There were huge caverns, but a lot of skinny places to crawl through, also.

And let's face it...

The Chick is an on-top-of-the-world OR in-the-water-with-sharks kinda girl.


They also went to a rugby match...

Which was obviously a pretty big deal!

All in all, I think she might have had an adventure of a lifetime.

All in all, I think it might be her very last one!

RANDOMNESS #3 - Just Another Zoo Day - Is there ever "just" another Zoo Day?

I don't think so. The Zoo is ever-changing. There are a lot of personalities on any given day, and I don't just mean the visitors!


See what I mean?

This Girl showed up in a big way, and walked all the way from her napping spot to look at all of us for a little while.




As fun as it was to see the lion up close and personal, feeding the giraffe was the main event of this trip.








Beebo and Sawyer.


The obligatory Train Ride with all the gang.








After playing in the Splash Pad and having lunch, you can tell RT was just a little tired...

But the pygmy hippo was calling his name.

RANDOMNESS #4 - Impromptu Splash Pad Fun - "Meet us at the Splash Pad," I said.

"Bring pizza," I said.

I love the times he does more than I say.







Have a delightful week. I'll be back soon...

Hopefully, with the stories, recipes and blog linkage I've been promising.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter