Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The B-12 Story, The Wednesday AFTER Tuesday (the 4th of July) with Judith, Spending Time with RT, Tuesdays with Judith Combined with Splash Pad Fun with the Cousins, Spending Time with RT (Again), Zoo Trip with Josh, Courtney, Judith, Sara Grace (Judith's Cousin) and Donna (Courtney's Mom) AND Pinterest Stuff (A Few Fun Summer Activities for the Kiddos)

Good Wednesday morning!

I'm going to start today's post off with an OLD story. I first posted it in August 2010 to be exact!

RANDOMNESS #1 - B-12, Baby - When the boys were little and Roxie was a baby, Mikie went out of town for a weekend men's conference. I had encouraged him to go and enjoy himself. He rarely took time off.

Everything was going fine. The boys were... well, they were boys. Roxie was a dream baby. We ate, played, napped, ran errands and ate some more. We were a well-oiled machine. That is not to say we didn't miss Mikie. Of course, we did. But I was glad he was away having a good time.

And then IT happened.

Fun fact for you... I have a tendency to have strep throat every one to two years. When I have strep throat, I get a golf ball size lump on the right side of my throat. You can actually see it when you are standing directly in front of me.

As soon as the golf ball appears, I also have trouble swallowing because of pain and, well... the golf ball, you see.

Within a few hours after "receiving" the golf ball, I begin running a terribly high fever. (Once it got up to 101.6 degrees! If you haven't been able to tell prior to today's little story, I have ZERO pain tolerance!)

I woke up the morning after Mikie had left with a golf ball in my throat. What to do? What to do?

My parents had left town a week earlier for their fall vacation. My sister had three little ones of her own to take care of, and she certainly didn't need to be exposed to Golf Ball Strep. Naturally, the golf ball appeared on a Saturday, so my doctor's office was closed! It was going to be a long weekend.

As my illness progressed (and I felt worse and worse), I parented from the couch, and prayed for Mikie's bus to return home sooner than later.

The next day was much, much worse. I didn't even make it to the couch. I was in the floor all day. But it was going to be okay. Mikie was coming home early that very afternoon. We would survive.

And then I received "The Call." "Hi, Babe. We're going to be a few hours later than I had thought. The bus just broke down."

"What?" I croaked.

"The bus broke down. But they are sending another one to pick us up, and I'll be home around 8:00 or 9:00 tonight." Mike was a little in the dark about how sick I was. I hadn't told him I was "floor parenting," because I wanted him to have a good time and there really wasn't anything he could do about it since he didn't have his own transportation.

"I don't think I'm going to make it that long," I whispered.

"What are you talking about?" he asked.

"I didn't want to tell you until you got home, but I have 'Golf Ball Strep.' And it's bad. It's REAL bad!"

"Hang in there. I'll be home in a few more hours."

"Yeah. Well, I'm going to need to go to the Emergency Room when you get home."

"Belinda. It's a sore throat. I'll pick up some throat lozenges and Tylenol before I come home." Mike had grown accustomed to my over-dramatic illnesses... and it was obvious he had never suffered from Golf Ball Strep. A throat lozenge wasn't going to cut it!

"IF I am still alive when you get home, and IF I haven't already called an ambulance to take me to the hospital... I WILL NEED to go to the Emergency Room!" Then he said something about loving me, missing me and seeing me and the kids soon (blah, blah, blah)... and he was gone.

The kids were in bed after being semi-fed (peanut butter and Pop-Tarts) and semi-cleaned (sitting in a tub of water playing for a few minutes while I leaned against a toilet)... and I was semi-dead!

Mikie arrived home at 9:00 p.m., and my sister arrived at 9:05 to sit with the kids. I was ready. I had spruced up enough to head to the Emergency Room. I needed a shot. I wanted a shot. I didn't care what kind of shot. Anything to put me out of my misery.

"Belinda. It is just a sore throat. I think you could probably wait until the doctor's office opens in the morning. Here. I brought you some throat lozenges. Oh, and look. Here's some Tylenol."

I was too weak to kill him then, but I promised myself if I survived, he would pay later.

When we arrived at the Emergency Room, my Dad was waiting. He and Mom had just returned from their vacation, and he came to wait with us. I sat down and put my head on his shoulder while Tylenol Mike filled out the paperwork.

"You are burning up," my Dad said feeling my forehead.

"I know. It's up to 101.6," I whined.

"Well, it's okay. We're not leaving until they give you something to fix this," and I leaned against his comforting shoulder again.

Believe it or not, Golf Ball Strep is not a high priority in the Emergency Room. In fact, they'll take broken bones AND/OR bullet wounds before they see someone with Golf Ball Strep. Go figure.

By the time they did call me back, they correctly diagnosed me (Golf Ball Strep), gave me a prescription of antibiotics and some Tylenol for my raging fever. Daddy kissed me on my hot, smelly forehead and sent me home to recuperate.

But recuperate I DID NOT! Two days later, I wasn't any better. I called my doctor, and INSISTED on something stronger than the pills they had prescribed in the Emergency Room. They told me to "come on down," and they would "squeeze me in." Ahh. Four hours in a doctor's waiting room with three small children. Good times... good times.

Mom was available to drive and watch the kids in the waiting room, so off we went. After only TWO hours of waiting, they called me to the back. Hallelujah! Now, if I could only make someone listen.

"I need a shot. Something strong. Something potent. Something you would give an extremely sick horse. I have to be better soon. Do... you... understand?"

The nurse said she would be back in a minute... and when she returned she was carrying a tray. On the tray was a large syringe filled with Golf Ball Strep fixin' medicine.

I wasn't prepared for the size of the needle. I can take long, but this thing was thick, too. "Wow. That really, really hurts."

I wasn't prepared for the length of time the needle would stay inserted in my hip. "Wow. It's taking forever, isn't it?"

I wasn't prepared for how much the medicine would burn as it was slowly pushed into my body. "Wow. This is very unpleasant!"

During the five or ten minutes it took to administer the shot, she told me it was a B-12 shot. It was thick and it had to be pushed in slowly. Also, that was why the needle wasn't skinny... because of the thick medicine.

"You should feel better soon," she said as I left. I wondered when "soon" would come.

I had my answer one hour and 42 minutes later. "I actually feel better," I told Mikie over the phone. By the time he came home that afternoon, I felt like a human being again. By the next morning, my throat was not hurting, my golf ball was getting smaller and my fever was gone. B-12 was a miracle drug, I tell you!

The next year when I woke up with my annual Golf Ball Strep, I immediately called the doctor's office to schedule a B-12 shot.

"We don't just give B-12 shots. We would prefer you have a Z-Pack," the nurse responded.

"That's okay. I'm a B-12 kind of gal. I'll just stop by for my shot, and I'll be feeling great tomorrow!"

A little more back and forth with the nurse and all I received was the Z-Pack... which takes forever and a day to work.

I've asked for B-12 shots many times since that first shot almost 12 years ago. I have never been given another one. It makes me wonder. What is B-12? Does it no longer exist? Did someone kill all the B-12 plants in the rainforest making it impossible for pharmaceutical companies to provide this miracle drug? Do only "special" people get B-12? How do I become a "special" person?

That may be the only B-12 shot I ever receive, but I will always remember it fondly... and I will never stop searching for B-12. And one day maybe, just maybe, I'll find it again.

RANDOMNESS #2 - The Wednesday AFTER Tuesday (the 4th of July) with Judith - Simply put, Judith spent the night on the 4th, and we spent Wednesday together revisiting the baby pools and bubble machine.









RANDOMNESS #3 - Spending Time with RT - Little Man is trying new foods, blowing homemade bubbles AND drooling from the cutting of the teeth, all at the same time.


It makes for a lovely pic, doesn't it?

RANDOMNESS #4 - Tuesdays with Judith Combined with Splash Pad Fun with the Cousins - Before We met at the Splash Pad with Chick-Fil-A bags and boxes, Judith baked a batch of strawberry muffins using a mix, fresh strawberries and milk. She did an awesome job, and next time she gets to cut up the fruit all by herself!






Please tell me you know I'm kidding about the cutting up of the fruit.

Thank you!

She won't start doing that until she's at least three.

About the same time I start letting her boil water on the stove and use the hand mixer.


As always, the Splash Pad was a delight.








Sawyer was a little tentative for a few seconds, but then he got the general idea and all was good.


He gave RT the go-ahead, and while the little guys didn't get into it quite as much as Judith, I don't think they will mind going back.


















Yep. This girl has some new playmates lined up for next time.

RANDOMNESS #5 - Spending Time with RT (AGAIN) - What can I say?








I'm totally in love with a toothless, drooling six month-old...

And I think I would say that even if he didn't belong to us.

RANDOMNESS #6 - Zoo Trip with Josh, Courtney, Judith, Sara Grace (Judith's Cousin) AND Donna (Courtney's Mom) - I'm almost 100 percent certain it was because Sara Grace was with her, but Judith conquered her fear of carousel animals on this particular trip.












In fact, when the time came to visit the camels, she didn't even hesitate.

She picked her camel and got on board.








Three of the sweetest girls I know.


When all is said and done though, I still think the Train is her fave.


Another day, another Splash Pad.








In my mind, this is what I think "joy" looks like.

I may be wrong...

But I don't think so.

Pinterest Stuff

A Few Fun Summer Activities for the Kiddos

Host a toy swap
Find local free museum days
Play restaurant and have the kids “make” lunch
Make a craft from Pinterest
Build a Lego castle with all of your extra bricks
Experiment and make your own popsicle flavors
Have a summer neighborhood book exchange
Set up play dates at different local parks
Attend a local dog show
Visit other town’s libraries
Visit the dog park (even if you don’t have a dog)

There were about 99 other things on the original list, but I think these were the most unique.

Have a fantastic rest of the week! I'll be back in a few days with one more July post and some ideas for family fun before the kids head back to school.

Take care!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

3 comments:

  1. Please tell me sweet Belinda, what is the brand of that bubble machine and where did you get it?? I had one years ago from Target but it never seemed to work. Andrea who loves bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called the Blitz Bubble Machine, Andrea. There are Blitz Bubbles that come with it, but I've used regular Dollar Tree and Walmart Bubbles, and it works just fine. You do have to refill it pretty often, but that doesn't seem to be a problem since there's an adult sitting somewhere near it at all times when the kids are in the baby pools. It uses 6 AA batteries, but so far, I haven't had to change them, and I've used it three to four hours... and I got it at Target!

      Delete
  2. Thank you!! I really appreciate it. I hope to own one real soon. Thanks again. Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter