Wednesday, June 11, 2014

PART TWO... of Yesterday's Post

Good Wednesday morning!

Let's finish this ridiculously long post, shall we?

RANDOMNESS #1 - Guatemala Update - YESTERDAY'S POST!

RANDOMNESS #2 - The Daniel Plan - Recently, I have had the opportunity to learn more about The Daniel Plan... and I must say, it is a little overwhelming.

It is not a fad or a quick weight-loss challenge or a new fancy cookbook.

It is a scripture-based, "that-makes-so-much-sense" way of life.

I am reading the book by Pastor Rick Warren, and while I am only half-way finished, I can definitely see the benefits of The Daniel Plan.

That being said, it is not an easy transition from eating so many processed foods to eating completely healthy meals.

No, sir.

Not easy at all.

As of this writing, I have made only three completely "healthy" meals for the family. Three.

At this point, we are implementing several of the good things in the book...

Drinking water instead of sweet tea and sodas (This one is really hard for me. I kind of lost it and drank TWO Diet Dr. Peppers Sunday. And they were so good!)
Reading labels
Trying new healthy recipes and foods
Eating more and more fruits and veggies
Trying to stay away from sugar AND artificial sweeteners
Drinking and eating less and less dairy

As I said above, the book makes total sense AND it is scripture-based. There is no denying the positive ways following The Daniel Plan can change your life and the life of your family.

I'll give you an update when I finish the book.

And then I'll probably read the book again, because I know I'm not retaining everything the first time around.

I'm reading, praying and trying to wrap my head around all of the things I'm learning, and I honestly don't know what the end result will be for me and mine.

The one thing I know for certain...

I miss my daily Diet Dr. Pepper...

Like 24/7.

It's almost as bad as missing The Chick...

The Chick who is coming home tomorrow night!

I may have to drink a Diet Dr. Pepper to celebrate!

NOTE - I do highly recommend reading this book. It is about so much more than just food. In fact, the book talks in great deal about faith, food, friends, focus AND fitness. It is eye-opening.

RANDOMNESS #3 - Greeter - Every few weeks, our Sunday School Class asks for volunteers to open car doors and help baby and preschooler parents get their little ones into their building... and this past Sunday Mike and I volunteered.

Can I just say, "I miss being around babies and toddlers and preschoolers. Oh, my!"

I had the best time seeing all of the little gals and guys in their Sunday attire being carried or walking into church.

Some smiled.

Some skipped.

Some waved.

Others were shy.

But they knew what they were doing and they knew where they were going. It was time for Sunday School!



I wore my new I'll-hold-the-door-for-you-and-your-little-ones outfit, and had the best time.

I think I may have found my new calling!

RANDOMNESS #4 - Oh, the things you see... - On our way home from a Saturday morning breakfast date, Mike and I were driving through neighborhood after neighborhood just a-lookin' when several woodland animals we happened to see.




Duck, duck, SNAKE!

Don't worry. I was safely in the car when Mike spotted the snake.

And did I mention the giant turtle in the middle of the road?

Did I?

I wanted to hop out and get a picture of Mr. Turtle, too, but with cars coming in both directions, Mikie thought it wasn't the best idea, and when we turned around and retraced our path a little later, the turtle was nowhere to be found.

Which was probably a good thing.

Quotable Quotes

"We met for a reason. Either you're a blessing or a lesson." Anonymous

Blog Linkage - Run, do not walk, to www.missionalmotherhood.com. Such good, good posts!

Restaurant Review

The Alabama Biscuit Company

Mikie and I have had a couple of new breakfast restaurants we wanted to try these past few months, but because of our extreme loyalty and love of Original Pancake House and Another Broken Egg, it was hard for us to break away from the norm...

Until this past Saturday.

We went to The Alabama Biscuit Company in Cahaba Heights.

It reminded me of one of the cool, urban-hipster places we visited when we were in Nashville, and while I don't really fit in at such places, I thoroughly enjoy my time while there.

I cannot describe the restaurant as well as the owner, so here is his statement...

"What started out as a quest to nourish ourselves with the best foods we could get our hands on, has turned into The Alabama Biscuit Company. Armed with sprouted and stone milled ancient grain, organic and pasture based fats, as many local and organic ingredients as we can find along the way, and a good old-fashioned biscuit recipe, we aim to bring some tasty nourishment to the world. Next time you’re around here, stop in and say hello. We’ve got a biscuit with your name on it."

That sums it up nicely.

When you walk into Alabama Biscuit, you pick up a menu at the counter AND look at the items on the board. Order when you are ready.



I had the Farm Egg De-Luxe with fresh-squeezed (pulpless) orange juice, and Mike ordered the Sausage Egg Cheese with coffee.

Both of these menu items were very, very good... and different.

But not different in a weird way.

Different in a delicious way.

I discovered I love fig conserves, organic eggs, crispy pancetta and the orange juice was some of the best I've ever drank.

Mike enjoyed his sausage egg biscuit and coffee, and we both commented on the good service.

The cost of our little breakfast outing was $27 and change.

Keep in mind, you do not get large quantities of food for $27, but the orders are filling.

My final review of The Alabama Biscuit?

We enjoyed it very much, and we'll go back from time to time to try other things on the menu.

It's definitely a good place to go if you're looking for something tasty to eat before starting your Saturday morning

Sausage and Cheese Biscuits

I found this recipe on Pinterest and made these biscuits this past Sunday morning to take to Sunday School. They were very good.

You will need the following:

2 (10-count) cans flaky biscuits (Grands Jr.)
1 pound sausage
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Brown and crumble sausage in skillet. Allow to cool.

3. Mix sausage and cheese gently until well blended. Shape into 40 balls of equal size.

4. Remove biscuits from cans and separate each biscuit into two layers, making 40 total biscuit layers. Press one layer of biscuit into each cup of a lightly greased cupcake pan. Repeat with remaining layers.

5. Place sausage-cheese ball in each biscuit cup. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until biscuits are brown and sausage balls are bubbly.

EAT!




Pinterest Stuff - YESTERDAY'S POST!

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. I'll be back Friday morning with HOMECOMING PICS (The Chick is coming home Thursday night), another new-to-me recipe, last minute Father's Day ideas and much, much more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in a couple of days.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

P.S. Hopefully, Mikie and I will be trying this new-to-us restaurant sometime before school starts back. We saw it on Andrew Zimmerman before, and as luck would have it, the restaurant is located in front of The Alabama Biscuit Company... so we know where to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter