Monday, September 23, 2013

Mindless Monday, Wise Old Owl Pumpkin Devotion, Zesty Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken (Pinterest)

Good Monday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - World War Z did NOT happen Friday night... and I was pretty happy. Things turned around (as things tend to do in our house), and four out of five of The Faulkner Five ate at Zaxby's before Mike and Josh went to a movie, and Roxie and I headed home to pile up on the couch and watch Pretty in Pink.

I live in fear Roxie is going to grow up thinking the 80s were a bizarre time for fashion and music and movies, and I'm doing my best to teach her what a great decade it was to live as a teen and early twenty-something.

However, as we've watched Steel Magnolias and now, Pretty in Pink, I am convinced Roxie is right.

The 80s WERE a bizarre time for fashion, music and movies, and while I sometimes miss big hair and even bigger shoulder pads, I am now certain they definitely belong in the 80s to be made fun of by kids and young adults living in the year 2013.

I mean, that is what the 60s were for my generation.

Although Roxie thinks a lot of the 60s stuff was pretty cool.

Which means my granddaughters might really enjoy Steel Magnolias and Pretty in Pink in a couple of decades.

I can only hope.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Roxie's 17th Birthday Celebration was held yesterday from 2:00 until 4:00, and if I totally believe Roxie (which I choose to do), she had a great time.

We'll start with the "cake."

Since the kids are "old" now, they get to choose their favorite cake/pie/dessert for their Celebration.

Since Roxie is not a fan of "sweets" (she prefers dill pickle chips, thank you very much), there is very little in the cake family that appeals to her.

After much consideration, Roxie decided that she does love Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts.

"I want a doughnut cake."

"Perfect," I said. I wouldn't have to bake anything and be worried about it "turning out," AND if I knew Mikie (and it turned out I did), he would offer to pick them up hot and fresh after church Sunday morning.

Roxie and I spent some time together on Pinterest checking out doughnut cakes, and what Roxie really liked was a doughnut HOLE cake... tree... cone? And she wanted silk flowers tucked in here and there... and really pretty, skinny candles sticking out all over the cake... tree... cone?

Okay.

Hmmm.

"Are you sure you don't want all different kinds of doughnuts and I'll make one of these pretty cakes? You know. A cake that is stacked."

"I don't really consider stacking doughnuts in the shape of a pyramid a 'cake,' Mom."

I'll go ahead and say it now. I'm a great stacker.

It's almost eerie how good a stacker I am.

Although it isn't listed in the Bible, I consider it a God-given gift!

But building a cone-shaped doughnut hole cake... Well, I just didn't know.


As it turns out, I bought a cone (styrofoam) at Hobby Lobby, along with a stem of silk flowers, and the rest was history.


I needed 60 doughnut holes to cover this cone... I guessed.


Mike bought 60 doughnut holes, and guess how many I actually needed?

Sixty-one.

But I found if you turned the cake a certain way, it worked well with only 60.


Krispy Kreme doesn't make doughnut holes, so Mike bought a dozen KK glazed and a dozen KK mixed variety for the guests. He went to Shipley for the doughnut holes, and I think everything turned out just fine.


Roxie's favorite colors are NOT orange and yellow, but since her party fell on THE FIRST DAY OF FALL, I felt it had to be autumnal in color.

The Chick was happy.

NOTE - If you tilt your head slightly to the left, my pictures will not appear crooked. I could change my whole picture-takin' style, and one day I might, but for today, just tilt a little and we'll all feel better.

At 17 years of age, money is a great gift, but I still like to have gifts for the guys to open, so the brothers gave her money (and a CD), Melia gave her a Gift Certificate (and her favorite candy) and Mike and I gave her a Pandora pearl ring.

Along with the other money she received from family, she was a very happy young lady.



The pink boa was used as "gift bag stuffing." I didn't want you to think Roxie wore a dark yellow and brown striped scarf with a hot pink boa to make a fashion statement.

Although it would appear The Chick can pull off that color combo, too.

Just tilt your head to the left a little.

After a couple of hours of eating and visiting, the party started breaking up and I commenced with the "family picture" portion of our day.


Katie and Roxie.


Austin, Roxie and Josh.

And, yes. There was a wardrobe change somewhere between eating the doughnuts and having the pictures taken.

I do not know why.


Melia and Roxie.


Roxie and Grandmother.


Roxie and Zac.


Uncle Mike and Katie.

Another pic that defies explanation!

The Chick's actual birthday is September 25 (Wednesday), and there will be a little celebratin' on that day, too.

It's going to be a fun week, I think.

I'll post the rest of the birthday pics on Friday.

Blog Linkage - Go to The Dating Divas under My Blog List and click on today's post entitled "12 Super Sporty Dates Your Man Will Love." They have free printables and really good ideas.

Zesty Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken

You will need the following:

6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (12 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1. Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the barbecue sauce, Italian salad dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the chicken.

2. Cover and cook 3 to 4 hours on high OR 6 to 8 hours on low.

NOTE - I know adding the Italian salad dressing sounds a little odd, but it turned out to be really tasty.

We all loved it!

Wise Old Owl Pumpkin Devotion


You will need the following:

Pumpkin
Sunflower Seeds
Glue
Devotion - Story of King Solomon/Wisdom

What is wisdom? There are two kinds of wisdom... man’s wisdom and God’s wisdom. Men think wisdom is being smart and getting a good education and having a successful life.

God’s wisdom is knowing God and what His Word tells us about how to live a life that pleases Him. Having God’s wisdom brings true peace and satisfaction.

King David knew that his son Solomon would be Israel’s next king. Before he died, David taught Solomon what he should do as king.

King Solomon showed his love for the LORD by obeying God’s laws.

It is a gift to have family members who teach us to love and obey God. Just as Solomon heard what his father taught him, more importantly he showed his love for God by obeying what David taught him about God.

Solomon knew if he was going to be a good King, he would need God’s wisdom... not man’s wisdom.

God was happy because Solomon knew that in order to be the kind of king that could lead God’s people, he could only do it with God’s wisdom.

I will never be a king like Solomon.

However, you don’t have to be a King to obey God and have God’s wisdom.

We need wisdom to live a life that makes God happy, and so we can tell others about Jesus.

How do we get God’s wisdom?

Do you remember how Solomon received God’s wisdom?

Solomon listened to his father, David. He learned from him and obeyed him. By obeying David, Solomon was also obeying God.

Do you think it made King David happy when his son obeyed him?

Do you think it makes God happy when we obey Him?

Yes. Yes, it does.

End with prayer.

That's it for today! Have a beautiful "second day of Fall," and I'll be back Friday with Weekend Happenings (another BIRTHDAY is coming up), another new recipe (pork chops) and more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you the end of the week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter