Thursday, December 28, 2017

Joyful Tidbits

Good Friday morn!

It is December 29...

Four days after Christmas.

There have been many Christmases in the past 56 years where I have felt sad or "down" the day or two after Christmas. However, this has not been one of them.

Honestly, I am feeling a little relieved.

My personality, basically, is one of HIGH, high expectations for events and/or holidays and LOW, low "day after" blah-ness when the HIGH, high expectations are not fully met.

It is sad, I know, to be my age and still want, expect, work toward, etc. the PERFECT Christmas.

Beautifully decorated...

Spotlessly clean...

Gifts bought AND wrapped weeks in advance...

Hot-cocoa-drinking-Christmas-movie-watching-every-single-night of December...

Perfectly cooked meals, cookies, cakes, etc.

The list could go on and on and on and on.

And it does. The list literally goes on and on and on.

It leaves me breathless and sweaty and more than a little bit anxious on some days.

Luckily for me, I have the following going for me...

1. The official Christmas season (in my heart AND head) does not begin until the day after Thanksgiving. This is by choice. In fact, I keep my Thanksgiving flag flying high between Thanksgiving and December 1 because here in Alabama, the leaves may or may not still be a little yellow and red and orange. I apologize in advance, but I cannot "skip" ahead to the reds and greens of Christmas before the last of the yellows, reds and oranges of Thanksgiving have finished putting on their show.

I kid you not.

I may do a few Christmas-type things here and there in the week leading up to December 1, but I'm still wearing earth tones.

2. My favorite parts of Christmas-prep are honestly making my family Christmas card AND wrapping gifts. Those are the two things I do not stress over. All of the other Christmas-prep activities can go one way or another, but I love making, addressing, mailing Christmas cards AND wrapping one, two or three gifts a day.

This does not mean I am great at either of the two above-mentioned tasks, but I do enjoy them and look forward to them each and every year.

I realize some of you may think the whole process of making the annual Christmas card is pure torture, and to you I will simply say, "I feel that way about decorating trees."

I'm not good at it, and when I see a home featuring one, two or more elegant, gorgeous "themed" Christmas trees, it is difficult not to let envy take hold.

3. And lastly, I attempt to find as many joyful tidbits in each and every day of December leading up to Christmas Day.

This is where a lot of the "busy stuff" falls by the wayside, and I make myself remember why we celebrate Christmas in the first place.

That's right.

I have to make myself do that from time to time.

And what are some of the ways I remember, you may ask?

Well, these two quotes from Ann Voskamp are definitely reminders.

“God gives God. That is the gift God always ultimately gives. Because nothing is greater and we have no greater need, God gives God. God gives God, and we only need to slow long enough to unwrap the greatest Gift with our time: time in His Word, time in His presence, time at His feet.”

“Christmas is about God's doing whatever it takes to be with us, and our doing whatever it takes to be with Him. He climbed down from the throne in heaven to get to you. Climb over the throes of Christmas to get to Him.” Ann Voskamp, The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas.

Making the time to read the Advent Story each day in December (with or without little ones in the house) is yet another way I remember. And, yes. Sometimes I skip days (although it is my goal to NEVER skip).

The Christmas Eve Candle and Carol Service is by far my most anticipated way to remember. I love this service and everything it embodies.

Keep in mind, the above doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of the "busy stuff." I'm pretty sure Christmas Cards and the wrapping of gifts wasn't a prerequisite of celebrating Jesus' birth those many years ago.

And as long as the "busy stuff" doesn't become the main thing, I think it's okay to enjoy the "stuff" now and again.

All that being said up front, the rest of this post will simply be sharing some of my joyful tidbits with you. Some will probably seem silly. Many will probably seem unnecessary. Others will probably seem very small and insignificant.

Just keep in mind, your list and my list will differ in some way or another.

Of this, I am almost certain.

1. The Polar Express - This year we took the grand-tots on a train ride to the North Pole.


One of my joyful tidbits?

The reindeer shoes RT wore.

I think the world would be a better place if everyone had a pair of reindeer shoes.

Don't quote me on that, but I can't imagine a better way to walk around...

Anywhere.



2. The Christmas Tree Farm - This was our 24th year to go to this particular farm. Quite simply, I love it!







3. My favorite Christmas word for the past several years has been "JOY." I don't see that changing anytime in the near future, and so I occasionally purchase the random flag, pillow, plate, candle and/or ornament with said word emblazoned upon it.



4. ZooLights - A ride on the carousel, a walk through the barn, a chicken nugget dinner and many, many Christmas lights pleased the grand-tots to no end.







5. Palisades Christmas - This is my 96 year-old MamMa's celebration which she hosts at Palisades Park in Oneonta every year.


This is a pic of my MamMa and her sister-in-law, Aunt Nell.

Thirty-two were in attendance this year, and that made MamMa very happy...

Which is why it is one of my joyful tidbits!








Monica and Justin.


My cousin, Roy, and his wife, Alisha.




Sawyer, Brad and Stephanie.

5. Oxford Christmas at Grandma's - Yet another joyful tidbit this year.


Judith and Lauren.


Roxie, Courtney and Matthew.


A messy bun...


A toothless smile...


And Christmas tree lights in the background...

Joyful tidbits ALL!

7. Christmas Eve Brunch, Football AND Christmas Cookies - The football and Christmas cookies were extra this year, but definitely a good addition.












Christmas Eve cookie decorating courtesy of by Aunt Mia (a/k/a Melia).


A little nap makes Christmas brunch that much more enjoyable.

8. Christmas Morning Visit - A little visit with Judith and RT to see what Santa left were two VERY joyful tidbits.





Well, there you have it.

Those were some of my Christmas joyful tidbits this year.

Some years, I definitely have to look a little harder than others, but there are always, always tidbits to be found.

I hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas, and I will talk to you next year!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter