Friday, June 10, 2016

Nana B Stories, Pinterest Stuff (The Flour Game), Stick of Butter Rice AND Weekend Happenings

Good Friday afternoon!

RANDOMNESS #1 - I went through the drive-thru at McDonald's and picked up my 10:32 a.m. Friday morning medium, sugar-free, French vanilla, iced coffee.

It's kinda what I do.

And on Fridays, I usually have the same guy prepare AND hand me my beverage of choice.

Well, get this.

I am almost 115 percent sure when the guy handed me my coffee today, he said, "Love ya."

Not, "Thank you, and come again."

Not, "Have a nice day."

"Love ya."

Don't get me wrong.

It wasn't said in a romantic way. I am most definitely old enough to be this kid's super young Mom.

Yet it wasn't said in a flippant way either.

He said it with gusto, and a big grin.

You can imagine my dilemma.

Having declared my love to my one and only 28 and a half years ago, I do not flippantly throw around the phrase, "Love ya," to just anyone.

Mikie, children (mine and those I come across in my day-to-day travels), relatives and girlfriends receive these words on a regular basis, and when I utter them, I try to be sincere.

Really.

Truly.

I do.

This guy is most definitely a significant part of my life.

I have a rather important decision to make before next Friday.

Right now, it is between these two...

"I, too, am fond of you, Coffee Server Extraordinaire!"

OR, as The Chick would say...

"I like you like a fat kid likes cake."

I know. I know.

I'm going to have to find another McDonald's.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I attended a Baby Shower for my new great-nephew-to-come, Sawyer, this past Sunday, and I have two things to say...

He is going to be a very snappy dresser; AND...





I, along with many other people, cannot wait to meet him in person in August.


Katie, Stephanie and Bev.


Daddy and Mommy...

Or as I have been referring to them these past few years, Brad and Stephanie!

NANA B STORIES - I just wanted to let you know about a couple of activities that have REALLY, REALLY worked for me during my interaction with the two, three and four year-old crowd.

1. As you already know, the Water Table is a wonderful thing.

Wonderful!

I work with a two and three year-old who, with a little bit of "extra," will play with the water table for an hour...

Or more.

I start out with a little water in the water table. I use a LARGE plastic bowl (from The Dollar Tree) and fill the bottom with plastic frogs, fish, lizards and snakes. I cover them with half a can of shaving cream (also from The Dollar Tree). The kids "wash" all of the animals and put them in the clean water.

I then use the shaving cream plastic bowl to add two or three more bowls of water to the table.

Now, we're ready for food coloring. They pick the first color, second color, etc., etc. As I drop more and more color in the water, they stir it with their hands and arms.

When the water turns black (which it inevitably does), we tip the water table onto it's side causing a large waterfall.

Then, it is time to fill it up again and repeat the above process over and over until they start getting tired.

But, wait!

It is time for the big guns...

Measuring cups, drinking cups, more bowls, washrags, etc.

We pour, measure, pour some more and start washing anything and everything in the area...

Chairs, play cars, the deck floor, etc.

Are they still interested?

Yep.

Time for a good water table rinse and some "new" water...

And the Swedish Gummy Fish (also from The Dollar Tree).

Using toddler forks or easy-to-use "kid" tongs, let the kids fish for the Swedish Gummy Fish.

Let them fish by color first. "Let's catch ALL of the red fish!"

After they have caught all of the colors, it's time to release them back into the water and fish some more.

Just between you and me, your fish supply will dwindle the longer you play this little game.

I like to call it Swedish Fish Sushi!

Clothes are wet...

Kids are clean and a little tired...

And it's time for dry clothes, a snack and reading time.

2. For the four and six year-old crowd, we were recently working on a transportation "unit." As I was leaving the library after checking out books, I noticed a shelf of FREE magazines. I picked out five.

The next time we were together, we spent 15 minutes tearing out pictures of any and all kinds of transportation.

The tearing was wild and wonderful, but the pictures were HUGE.

I told the kids to pick a color for poster board...

RED. They picked RED!

I took the pictures home and trimmed them.

The next time I met with these particular kiddos, I came prepared with RED poster board, glue sticks and much smaller pics.

They spent 15 minutes independently working on a really, really cool "Transportation Poster."

3. Fly Swatter Painting is fun for all ages. Fifty-somethings included.

I use three paper plates and put a blob of different colored paint on each one.

Using white poster board and The Dollar Tree fly swatters, dip the swatter in a color and start slapping the paper.

And so on, and so on, and so on.

It doesn't take long, but you can make multiple paintings, and it is easy, breezy!

Pinterest Stuff

The Flour Game

To play this game (according to this family’s version), you fill a teacup with flour and pack it firmly. Flip it over onto a plate, and place a Lifesaver candy on the top of it.

Each person sitting in a circle takes a turn cutting the flour with a knife.

If you make the Lifesaver FALL during your cut, you have to fish it out with your mouth!

No hands allowed!

NOTE FROM ENCHANTING BELINDA - As you can imagine, I can't wait to try this one. It may be one of our 4th of July activities. (Blue plate, white flour, red Lifesaver.) I don't think I can actually wait until Christmas.

Stick of Butter Rice

You will need the following:

1 cup uncooked white rice (NOT instant)
1 can of condensed French onion soup
1 can of beef broth
1 stick of butter, sliced

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. In a 9" x 9" baking dish combine rice, soup and broth.

3. Cut butter into thin slices and place on top of the mixture.

4. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

5. Remove cover and bake 30 minutes more.

I made this last night, and it was a hit. I'm pretty sure this is a side I will make again and again and again.

Weekend Happenings

1. Roxie is having some college friends over for a couple of days.

I am finishing up THE BIRMINGHAM LIST as we speak (100 Fun Things To Do Around the Magic City - Enchanting Belinda Style), and I will give them their individual copies tonight.

After Senior Year, the Chick who has the most things checked off her list will win a very special prize.

2. On Saturday, while the friends are doing this and that, and going hither and yon, I will be cooking, Estate Sale shopping and birthday party planning...

3. Because Mikie's 55th Birthday Celebration is happening this Sunday after church.

That's right.

He is wildly excited he will now be considered a "senior" at certain establishments, and will be given the dreaded "Senior Discount."

I am wildly determined to pay full price for everything as long as I possibly can.

At least until I am 70!

4. After all the party people leave the house Sunday afternoon, Judith is going to hang around and spend the night.

Happy, happy am I about this particular weekend.





Have a great weekend, Guys. I'll talk to you in a couple of days!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

P.S. I am going to leave you with a few Charleston pics The Chick took last week.




Roxie, Natalie and Ellie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter