Friday, August 29, 2014

Weekend Happenings, Snickers Caramel Apple Pie, Pinterest Stuff (Object Lesson - Anger Management), Blog Linkage

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Here are some pictures of a few things The Faulkner Five did LAST AUGUST.

That means I didn't take any pictures Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday of THIS week.


Josh moved into an apartment in Hanceville last August.


Granddaddy's recliner moved with him. (It moved to Jacksonville with Austin, too. It is kind of a "college recliner," so I'm assuming next year we'll be moving it with The Chick.)


Roxie and Josh.

We had our back-to-school dinner at P. F. Chang's last year.


Austin and Melia.


This was Roxie's first day of school outfit last year.


Austin and Melia.

Can you believe it? They weren't even engaged this time last year.

Counting today, they only have 58 more days to go!


Stephanie and Brad weren't engaged this time last year either.

Counting today, they only have 30 more days to go!

How things have changed.


Bev, Grandmother and Me.


In May of 2013, Roxie totaled her little red car in an accident.

In August of 2013, Roxie got a new-to-her little green car...

And in August of 2014, she's still driving the little green car.

YEA!

RANDOMNESS #2 - I faithfully watched all four weeks of Jen Hatmaker's reality show on HGTV.

It came on Thursday nights at 10:00, and there were two back-to-back 30-minute shows on each week.

I wish they had spread it out, because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

They renovated a 105 year-old farmhouse with the whole family living in the 105 year-old farmhouse. And when I say "whole family," I'm talking two parents, one dog and five kids.

With the beginning of our renovation coming up, it gave me hope maybe our family will survive an in-home reno, too.

However, Jen seems a tad more laid back than me.

Her husband, Brandon, also seems very "go with the flow."

I'm hoping "laid back" is NOT a prerequisite for a successful house reno...

But I think I'm going to be very disappointed.

RANDOMNESS #3 - I'm still posting a pic a day on Instagram, and I am loving it! So much fun.

If you are on Instagram and want to follow me, go to @enchantingb.

Blog Linkage - Go to www.missionalmotherhood.com and read until you catch up! There are some very good blog posts this week.

Snickers Caramel Apple Pie

You will need the following:

1 pie crust
3 green apples, diced
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
15 to 20 mini snickers, chopped
2 1/2 cups Cool Whip whipped topping, softened
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
4 ounces cream cheese, softened

1. Spread chopped Snickers on bottom of pie crust.

2. Layer the diced apples next.

3. Drizzle caramel on top.

4. Combine Cool Whip, cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk together in a small bowl and spread on top.

Note - I mixed the Cool Whip, condensed milk and cream cheese in a bowl, and then added the apples and Snickers into that mixture. Then I put it all in the pie crust.

5. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Take out about 5 minutes before serving and top with fresh apple slices and a little more caramel. Enjoy!

Another Note - This pie is better on Day 1 and Day 2. If you want to keep the apples from browning, you can put them in a small bowl, pour 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in the bowl and toss before adding them to the pie.

Pinterest Stuff

Back in the day when we had daily family devotions, I loved adding an object lesson to the mix. Now, looking back, the successful object lesson devotions are some of the ones the kids still remember as their favorites.

Object Lesson - Anger Management

Key Verse

"In your anger, do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry." Ephesians 4:26

Additional Verses

Psalm 4:4, Proverbs 14:29, Proverbs 15:1, Ecclesiastes 7:9, Ephesians 4:26-27, Colossians 3:8

You will need one can of soda.

The Bible tells us in Ephesians 4:26 when we get angry we need to be very careful not to sin. Sinning is when we do something that goes against God’s rules for our life like pushing, fighting and saying unkind things.

Have you ever been really mad at someone?

(Take out can of soda.)

When we get angry, it is like shaking this can of soda up and down.

(Shake the can hard, and then act like you are going to open it.)

What would happen if I opened this can? It would explode everywhere, wouldn't it?

(Set the can down and make sure you give it at least a minute or two before picking it up again. It would be best if you test this before presenting it.)

If you are angry like this can, and you sin by getting into a fight or calling someone bad names, it would be like opening this can and it spraying everywhere!

Sometimes what we need to do is walk away, pray and ask God to help us calm down... and not respond in sin.

(Take the can and open it. It should open normally now. Make this dramatic so the kids think it will spray everywhere.)

See! All this can needed was a few moments of quiet and it calmed down. I opened it and it didn't explode.

Just like this can, when we are angry we need to take a few moments so we can react without sinning.

Another Note - If I was doing this devotion today, after I shook the can, I would say, "I'm going to let this can of soda walk away for a few minutes to calm down. I don't want it to explode when I open it, do I?"

I would then put the can behind a box or somewhere the kids couldn't see it.

When it was time to open the can in front of the kids, I would pull out an unshaken can from behind the same box. I wouldn't have to worry about stretching the devotion out to make sure the original can wouldn't explode, and I could keep the kids' attention.

Weekend Happenings

I could spend a lot of time and space telling you the five of us will be working, watching football, playing at the lake with friends, going to church, etc., etc., etc.

But we all know there's only one really important "thang" going on this weekend.

1. On Sunday evening, I will be going to The Melting Pot with the family for a birthday dinner... And I will receive birthday gifts... And it will be good and lovely and delicious.

I may or may not be wearing a beautiful new blouse and matching jewelry depending on my luck shopping today and tomorrow, but other than that one little "unknown," I think it's going to be a great, great weekend.

I've never been to The Melting Pot, but it's been on my List of Restaurants I Want to Try for several years now. I love when items on lists get checked off...

So, so much.

Have a delightful three-day weekend. Three-day weekends are the best, aren't they? I'll be back Tuesday with a lot of Fall "stuff."

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter