Friday, October 12, 2012

Weekend Happenings, Blog Linkage, A Few Fun Fall Dates

Good Friday morning!

So much to post... so little time.

RANDOMNESS #1 - Roxie played her last home volleyball game of the season Monday night. We still have a few away games left. I didn't want you to think I was finished posting volleyball pictures.

You're not that lucky.


Roxie's last home volleyball game was a Breast Cancer Event. All the proceeds from the game went to Breast Cancer Research... and pink balloons decorated the girls' chairs... and pink ribbons were worn by each player.


If nothing else, these chicks LOOK ready. (And they were. We won both of our games Monday night!)


I love Roxie's legs in this picture. No feet are touching the ground, and if she was wearing a tutu with classical music being played in the background, it would most definitely be ballet-worthy.


"If all your friends stood around with their arms in the air, would you do it, too?"

Yes. Yes, she would.

RANDOMNESS #2 - It's that time of year when I pretend I have preschoolers again. Spooky desserts, orange food coloring in anything and everything I can find, giant stuffed spiders hidden in places where you least expect them, etc.

Actually, I haven't done the giant stuffed spider thing yet, but I think I might be making a purchase this weekend and having some fun with it until the end of the month.

And believe me... You'll be the first to know.


This is my attempt at the Halloween Parfait (from Pinterest). It's all about layering pudding and crushing Oreos. It is not rocket science.


This is my Fall Cookie Jar, and if you'll notice, it is FULL.


Usually, if this jar is full, it is full of large muffins. (It only takes seven large muffins to fill the jar.) And just so you don't get the wrong idea, these are slice-and-bake cookies. I didn't have time to bake 342 homemade sugar cookies yesterday.

So enjoy my pretty Fall Cookie Jar, but do not be overly impressed with the contents.

RANDOMNESS #3 - Mom wanted to purchase an Ovarian Cancer Car Tag, but she didn't want to wait in the LONG line for four hours.

Enter The Enchanting Belinda. As I stated earlier in the week, I don't mind waiting. It's therapy for me. I was the likely choice to wait in line... and enjoy it the most.

I arrived at the Center Point Courthouse at 8:15 a.m. I sat in a chair in the sixth row of ten chairs. There were two more rows behind me. There were also 15 people standing in the line I would eventually need to get in to buy the tag.

My job was to estimate how long it would be before our row was called to stand in line, and what time Mom needed to show up with her paperwork to walk in and buy her tag... with little or NO waiting.

I timed the lines. The first row to enter the "line" took 10 minutes before the next row was called. However, the second row took 20 minutes in the "line."

Doing some really quick math, I called Mom and told her to be at the Courthouse by 9:15 a.m. and she would have a 15 to 20 minute wait.

Just to let you know how good I am, Mom walked in at 9:09 a.m., sat down for four minutes before our row was called to the "line," and we were out in the parking lot at 9:35 a.m.

I think I may have found a new vocation in life.

And I think I really, really excel in my chosen field!



Mom was kind enough to buy me and Beverly Ovarian Cancer Car Tags, too.

RANDOMNESS #4 - I made a rare sunrise Wal-Mart run this morning. This used to be a weekly part of my life during the school year. With three kids living at home, I would get up super early and head out to get the things the three kids forgot to tell me about prior to putting head to pillow the night before.

Sometimes it was easy.

A case of water bottles for an outdoor activity they were going to have that day.

A birthday card for one of their buddies.

A special snack they just "had to have."

Other days, it was very, very difficult.

An astronaut costume for a play they were performing for the entire student body at 10:00 a.m. the next morning. (That was my favorite!)

Glow-in-the-dark orange poster board and a purple skinny-tip Sharpie. (You think I'm kidding, don't you? NOT!)

This morning was an easy run, but since I needed to go to the store later in the day, I decided to combine the two in a timely, efficient manner. Oh, and I needed gas.

Rookie mistake.

Every mother knows, "Make two trips. Do not try to be the 'Martha Stewart of Mothers' before the roosters start crowing. It will not bode well."

I got home just in time to kiss everyone good-bye and throw the needed objects at the kids in question as they pulled out of the driveway.

In case you're wondering, I may be too old for this!

RANDOMNESS #5 - Josh and his cousin, Brad, are heading out at noon today for Josh's third and final Senior Mini-Trip.

They are meeting a bass fishing guide at Lake Guntersville at 2:30 p.m. and going on a bass fishing extravaganza for four hours this evening. They are GUARANTEED to catch MANY FIVE TO TEN POUND BASS.

That's right. I said GUARANTEED.

And they are excited.

Tonight they are going to enjoy a steak dinner at the Guntersville State Park Lodge and spend the night before heading home sometime late tomorrow morning.

I hope this Mini-Trip works out as well as the first two.

Remember... Senior Mini-Trip #1 - Trip to Nashville with Austin and Brad. Concert at The Grand Ole Opry (Carrie Underwood, Oak Ridge Boys, Little Jimmy Dickens and some other famous person I cannot remember now). Two nights away eating at Nashville-only restaurants. And go-carts. You cannot forget the go-carts.

Senior Mini-Trip #2 - Trip to Atlanta with Will and A.P. Dinner at a Medieval Festival served by wenches. A day at a huge water park. Two nights away eating at Atlanta-only restaurants.

Good times. Good times.

We'll see if Senior Mini-Trip #3 is comparable to #1 and #2.




He just looks so happy, doesn't he?

Blog Linkage - Go to Six Sisters' Stuff under My Blog List and read today's post entitled "50 Delicious Fall Side Dishes." I have chosen 28 to try this season. (To be realistic, I'll probably try two of them.)

A Few Fun Fall Dates

Grab one of your kiddos this month and try one of these fun, easy, time-well-spent dates. If you have more than one child in your home, get busy! It's already October 12!

1. Go out of the state. Get on the highway and go! Take pictures next to the "Welcome" sign and turn around or spend the day exploring!

2. Go to a craft store and buy face paint. Paint each other's face.

3. Paint coffee/hot chocolate mugs for each other. Use a Sharpie or paint pens and make sure to bake them so you can save them forever!

4. Buy Dollar Store prizes (together) and go home to play games. Give the prizes to the winner! Bananagrams is a quick game for two people to win a few prizes!

5. Buy a Halloween Gingerbread House Kit and work on it together at home.

Weekend Happenings

Now this is what I'm talking about. This is a Faulkner Five Fall Weekend!

Friday

Austin - He is staying in Jacksonville until early Sunday morning to work on his internship today and tomorrow. (Good, good boy.)

Josh - He is heading to Lake Guntersville for a FANTASTIC guided fishing trip with his cousin, Brad.

Roxie - She is spending the night with the Varsity Volleyball Team and playing in a tournament with them tomorrow.

Belinda - After getting Brad and Josh off on their trip, I will be baking cupcakes, pretzel hugs AND pigs-in-a-blanket for tomorrow's tournament.

Mike - If he knows what is good for him, he will come home with spectacular DATE PLANS for a Friday Night Date! (No pressure, Mikie.)

Saturday

Austin - He is working on his internship in Jacksonville.

Josh - He is sleeping late, eating breakfast at the Lodge and heading home sometime early afternoon.

Roxie - She is playing in what we hope will be an all-day tournament.

Mike - He is watching Roxie play in what we hope will be an all-day tournament.

Belinda - I AM GOING TO MY GREAT-NIECE'S FIRST BIRTHDAY PARTY IN OXFORD! You may be wondering how Mike and I decided which of us would attend the tournament and which would go to the birthday party.

It wasn't hard. I told him I would absolutely DIE if I didn't get to attend Lauren's party, and because I'm never dramatic, he knew I was serious and I needed to attend.

(I'm just staying an hour, and then I'm heading to Roxie's tournament. I should be able to catch at least one or two games.)

Sunday

Austin - He and Melia may be carving pumpkins after lunch Sunday. (And I will be photographing.)

Josh - He should be studying for mid-terms.

Roxie - She should be studying for mid-terms.

Belinda - I may forego the Faulkner Five Fun Ride this week (and this week only) to hang around the house with everyone.

Mike - If I don't go on the Faulkner Five Fun Ride, Mikie's not going on the Faulkner Five Fun Ride. Just sayin'. He may take a much-needed Sunday afternoon nap!

Have a tremendous October weekend. How is your Fall Family To-Do List coming along? Have you marked off a lot of activities. If not, get busy! I'll be back Monday morning with another uber-long post, pics and more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter