Monday, October 22, 2012

Mindless Monday, If I Could Turn Back Time, Annual SEC Stadium Tradition, French Bread Pizzas

Good Monday morning!

I'm starting the blog off with a picture of Mikie. He left yesterday for a short conference in Colorado, and I'm missing him.

That being said, I hope he has a great time and comes home on time... or earlier than expected!



RANDOMNESS #1 - Since we were not going to be able to go on a Fun Fall Ride this weekend, Mike took me back to the Sibyl Temple in Vestavia for a lovely little picnic Friday.

It fit my mood.


This is the little picnic area at the Temple. There is plenty of shade and the nearby bathroom is immaculate. (This is known as VII... Very Important Information!)




Just between you and me... I think my eyes were closed in this picture, but my hair looked great, so I decided to use it anyway.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Roxie and her friend, Austin, went to The Great Pumpkin Patch in Hayden and picked out pumpkins Saturday afternoon.


I've always known Roxie looks good sitting by a pumpkin...


And I've always known Roxie could pick out the perfect pumpkin...


But I had no idea she was such an expert at pumpkin carving. (Can you tell it's a hoot owl? Can you?)

RANDOMNESS #3 - JSU had an early game Saturday morning. That probably means nothing to you, but at Faulkner Farms (circa 1842) it means The Boy comes home late Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday morning.

This particular Saturday evening, Melia had invited Austin to a "jazz concert thing." (His words. Not Melia's.)

When he called to get more information about the evening's events, Melia told him it was semi-formal.

No problem. He opted for a shirt and tie look.

When he asked what time they needed to arrive "at the program" for seating, Melia told him the event was a little more "interactive" than just sitting.

They were going to a dance... And not just a dance, but a swing dance.

Melia and I were much more excited about the "event" than Austin... initially.

I knew he would get into the "swing" part of the evening after a good dinner. (And he did.)

Austin thought the Captain America glasses added a little something extra.


Austin was wrong.

Then he decided to try a "confident" look.


Wrong again.


Finally!

RANDOMNESS #4 - Melia and Austin decided to try their hands at carving pumpkins Sunday afternoon.


Let the carving begin!


The Lovely Melia may (or may not) be a little TOO comfortable with large, sharp knives. Just sayin'.


Austin quickly became the go-to guy for "pumpkin gut scraping." (I would rather change 20 poopy diapers in a row than scrape the guts out of one pumpkin.)

I'm fearless that way.


I think it is pretty clear Melia's pumpkin carving is a "Mighty M."

Austin's may be a little bit harder to guess, so I'm just going to tell you.

It's Iron Man.

Do you see it?

RANDOMNESS #5 - Is it just me, or does everyone start strutting a little whenever they hear "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry over the intercom system at the grocery story?

What about "Cause She's a Brick House?"

Just me?

Okay. Forget I said anything.

If I Could Turn Back Time - I would kneel down eye-level and listen ATTENTIVELY to each story, question and "important-to-a-kid" informational nugget ever spoken by my kids from the time they started talking until middle school (when they became more selective about what came out of their mouths).

Dishes would not distract me.

Laundry would not distract me.

Dinner prep would not distract me.

Dust would not distract me.

I would be a walking "ear" for anything my kids felt the need to share.

Yes. I listened to my kids when they were younger. But if I could turn back time, I would most definitely listen MORE.

French Bread Pizzas

The kids and I made these Sunday after Mikie left. And we'll be making them again and again and again.

You will need the following:

2 loaves of French bread
2 jars pizza sauce
Toppings (pepperoni, Canadian bacon, green peppers, onion, pineapple, mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, etc.
2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)

1. Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.

2. Cut the french bread in half length-wise. Put the halves on a cookie sheet open faced.

3. Spread pizza sauce on each side.

4. Add your favorite toppings.

5. Top each half with 1/2 cup cheese.

6. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.

Maybe I misread the kids' reaction to their individually-made pizzas, but I think our "delivery pizza" days are OVER.

Mikie is going to be SO happy.

Oh. Did I mention I got this recipe from Pinterest? Or did you already know that?

Annual SEC Stadium Tradition

Seven years ago this month, Josh told Mike he wanted to visit every SEC Stadium before he graduated high school.

Of course, he wanted to attend the SEC Stadium when Auburn and the other school were playing football.

Mike and Josh decided to extend the "before I graduate high school" timeline to once a year until they "got it done."

No pressure.

Only 14 years of looking forward to an annual tradition and completing a goal together!

Mike and Josh continued their tradition this past Saturday In Nashville (Auburn/Vanderbilt) and except for the losing thing, they had a really good time.

They have seven more stadiums to visit including Alabama (Iron Bowl). It's been a fun tradition, and one I would recommend to any college football lovin' family.



I have a fun fact for you. The Vanderbilt Stadium is the smallest of all SEC Stadiums.

Very cozy!

Have a terrific Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll be back FRIDAY MORNING with another mesmerizing post about all things autumnal... and 100 or so pictures of Mikie's return.

Take care, and I'll talk to you at the end of the week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

  1. 1. So wish you would fly! We would have had a blast! And Fall - oh the yellows were so so pretty. I'll share a few photos later, since I'm not sure if Mike took any.
    2. Might have to hire Roxie to come over and carve our pumpkins - mine never, never look that good.
    3. Again - wish you would fly. You would have boogied to all those songs on the dance floor with me. I'm sure Mike will show you the video. I know he's saving it for next years budget time to bribe me. I had a blast and didn't much care. And although Mike didn't get up out of the chair - he still danced and sang along. (And laughed at the rest of us a lot!!)
    4. Anna is in that awkward 12 1/2 year old stage. She doesn't talk so much to us anymore - but Zach will sit and tell us every detail. I miss her voice sometimes. Guess it's time for a trip to the Galleria - she always talks over pretzels, ice cream, bon bons, etc.
    5. So trying the pizza this weekend. They just started offering these at school and the kids have asked for them.

    Again - you are so my soul sister! Really do wish you would travel with us sometime, we would have a blast! If you get the chance again - go to Denver in the fall. You would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter