Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Quotable Quotes, My Favorite Things RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE, My List of Pinterest Stuff I am Going to Try Sooner Than Later, A Trip to Stevenson, Washington and Portland, Oregon AND A Little Bit of Eden

Good Tuesday morning!

Big ol' long post today. We need to get to it!

Quotable Quotes - The following came from Amy Nelson Hannon (author of Love Welcome Serve - Recipes that Gather and Give). If you like/love cooking all things Southern, I highly recommend adding this book to your Cookbook Collection!

"I'm in the throes of a wild and wonderful privilege, getting to stand before thousands of women around the country to encourage them to view their homes and kitchens as powerful tools that God can use to impact lives for eternal things. To see that their homes are not only where we make sack lunches and chop salads, where we fold whites and wash dishes, where we seek to serve our families... but it's also a strategic springboard for ministering to those around us. It's a wellspring of welcome to show the world the love of Jesus. It's the perfect platform for living out the hospitality of the Bible and loving people well. God, stir our hearts and homes. May we change the world one pot pie at a time."

My Favorite Things RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE - Some of you know I've been trying to get on board the "Podcast Train" for almost a year now, but I've had trouble finding something I really, really like. I may have accidentally stumbled onto something listening to "Ordinary People, Ordinary Things" hosted by Melissa Radke. It's entertaining, but there is also depth. She is a Christian, and one of the things I like most on her Podcast is the "daily trying to live it" way she speaks about her faith.

Anyway, I like this Podcast very much. I'm still looking for a few more, but this one will do nicely for now.

My List of Pinterest Stuff I am Going to Try Sooner Than Later - It's a very real list, Guys. I hope putting it here on the Blog will make me accountable and push me to get it done...

But I've tried that before, and it didn't work.

For me, I think monetary bribes work better than accountability. I'm not proud of it, but it appears to be factual.

1. The Charcuterie Board - I have pinned seven to choose from. If you don't know what that is (like me a few weeks ago), it is a huge "snack" board/plate/table with a theme. I think I will either be doing the Fall Charcuterie Board OR the Dessert Charcuterie Board.

Also, there are so many small-ish portions of so many items, it is going to cost me/Mikie a pretty penny to put this together, so I want to be sure there will be enough people around at any given time to not let it go to waste.

2. Campfire Cones - This looks so good, I may not be able to wait much longer before I start a fire outside, grab a waffle cone and stuff it with strawberries, chocolate, marshmallows, sliced bananas, a drizzle of caramel, etc., etc., etc.

The instructions then call for you to wrap it in aluminum foil and place it gently on the grill for a few minutes to make everything wonderful and melty.

It looks divine, I tell you!

3. How to Paint with Sharpies and Alcohol - Rubbing... just wanted to clarify.

4. How to Make Lettuce Last a Month - I kid you not. This one is fascinating to me!

RANDOMNESS - A Trip to Stevenson, Washington AND Portland, Oregon - Mike had a work trip in Stevenson, Washington, and I was able to tag along with him.

Once again, I boarded a plane with little to no fear or trepidation, and flew to a new-to-me destination. My one goal was to have a "life experience" in Oregon AND Washington. I wanted a twofer in the State Count Department...

And guess what?

My count now stands at 21!

If I counted ALL the states I have been to, the number would be 24, but my rule has always been, "You must have a Memorable Life Experience in the state before it is official."

Thirty-plus years ago, I was on my first flight ever to San Francisco, California with girlfriends. Our plane stopped in Phoenix, Arizona, and although I did hop off and grab a hotdog in the airport during a short layover, it wasn't that great of a hotdog to count as a "Memorable Life Experience."

Two years ago while visiting The Creation Museum in Kentucky, there was such a horrible downpour we needed an umbrella. Not realizing how close The Creation Museum was to the state line of Indiana, before we knew it, I was running into a CVS in that State buying a cheap umbrella for the duration of our very wet day.

Buying an umbrella in a CVS also does NOT qualify as a "Memorable Life Experience."

And last, but not least, a few years ago while in Memphis, I was standing under a bridge, looked up and saw a "Welcome to Arkansas" sign. Mike was kind enough to drive me across the bridge into Arkansas, but seven minutes later I decided there was nothing to experience in that particular corner of Arkansas, so we turned around and drove back to Tennessee. I decided to go to Arkansas another time in the future to make a memory.

Washington and Oregon BOTH showed up and showed out, and we made memories galore!


We stayed in Skamania Lodge which is five minutes from Stevenson, Washington, ten minutes from Cascade Locks, Oregon and 45 minutes from Portland.

Kinda in the middle of spectacular nowhere.








There were breathtaking views wherever you looked, and our room (although definitely "lodgy") was clean, beautiful and comfortable. We loved it.

Also, jet lag is a REAL thing...

Even if your total time spent on a plane in one day is a little under six hours.

Who knew?


This is a mural painted at the base of Bridge of the Gods on the Cascade Locks side.

I am not 100 percent certain, but this was quite possibly the only mural in Stevenson and/or Cascade Locks.




At any given time during the day OR night, you could be driving along a road with a train on a track immediately beside you... water and boats on the other side of you... and a helicopter or airplane flying overhead.

I'll be honest.

I was wishing I had a two year-old car/boat/truck/train/plane lovin' little guy with me during some of the drives. He would have gone nuts!




We took a two-hour boat cruise up and down the Columbia River Gorge. It was a gorgeous day with lots of wind and plenty of sunshine. (From what we gathered from the locals, the three consecutive days of beautiful weather was not a given, and they considered us "lucky" to have such.)




This is Bridge of the Gods. It was one of our "must sees," but it ended up being the only way in and out of Stevenson, Washington, so we traveled this bridge several times a day.


This is Multnomah Falls. There are a lot of waterfalls to explore in this area of the country. However, this was the very first time sweat appeared on the trip, and I had to fight hard to keep myself from becoming disenchanted with waterfalls.

Mike and I were at the bottom of this lovely sight. It was cool, misty and quite pleasant. I loved it.

We decided to walk the two-tenths of a mile to the bridge you see in the picture. Naturally, it was pretty steep and twisty, but I was still quite comfortable humidity-wise until we turned to go into the second or third "twist in the trail."

I felt it, but Mike said it...

"Boy, just turning on the path right there you can feel the humidity change, can't ya?"

UGGGH!

I became very quiet and continued the walk to the bridge. After a few moments of the silence, Mike turned around and found me head down with fists and teeth clenched.

"You okay?" he asked.

"No, I am NOT okay," I tersely replied. "Look at my hair! Feel the back of my neck!"

"Your hair is very curly and the back of your neck feels gross."

"Exactly. This is how I feel EVERY DAY in Alabama from the first week in May until the third week in October. I flew all the way across the country to spend a few days in September WITHOUT VERY CURLY HAIR AND BACK OF THE NECK SWEAT!"

Not only does humidity affect me in the Personal Appearance and Personal Comfort Departments...

It also alters my usually pleasant personality...

A lot.

We made it to the bridge, took pictures of the magnificent HUMIDITY-MAKER and trudged back to the car.

In silence.

NOTE FROM ENCHANTING BELINDA - Other things happened that afternoon and evening (and I have pictures to prove it), but I'm just going to end our first day together in a new-to-me state with the waterfall picture and move on to some more pleasant memories.


Fun fact for you...

Oregon is known for it's hazelnuts.

On our way to visit Portland, Oregon the next morning, Mike and I went to The Restaurant at the base of Multnomah Falls to have our breakfast, and we ordered one to share before our eggs, bacon and juice arrived.

Can I just say hazelnuts are extremely lovely when placed upon a cinnamon roll?




We had a limited amount of time to spend in Portland, so I jotted down a few things we HAD TO DO/SEE, and we got busy.

This Air-Tram gave us a pretty overall view of the city.


Next was the obligatory Mural Hunt.

Sometimes, Mike can't stop the car in time, but I love him anyway.








We were told by many to include a stop at Powell's Bookstore, and they were correct. It is the largest independent bookstore in the world (taking up a complete city block), and to simply say, "It has everything," would be the largest understatement in the world.

You could easily spend days in this store, but we only had a short time to shop for the Grandtots. (We bought them funny books about trout AND a bendable Big Foot.)

If and when we are ever near Portland again, a huge chunk of time will be designated to browse.


The plan for the day also included a stop by Voodoo Doughnuts...

But after talking to several locals, we switched gears and tried Blue Star Donuts...

Which is also a Portland favorite...

And now a Gardendale favorite.

Don't get me wrong. Mike and I are hardcore Krispy Kreme fans, and have yet to find a better doughnut in our limited travels, but Blue Star was definitely special. The flavors were so unique (for example, a brioche babe is filled with Marionberry-Habanero Jam and dusted with the dreamiest housemade peanut butter powder... Blue Star's wording). And we didn't compare textures. That is where Krispy Kreme doughnuts far surpass others in our opinion.

All that said, we would go again in a heartbeat.


The "highlight" of our Saturday in the PNW was a scheduled axe throwing lesson at our Lodge.

We had one-on-one instruction from an axe-throwing pro, and Mike and I progressed very well.





Very well indeed.


On our way to the airport on a rainy, dreary Sunday morning, Mike and I stopped at Big T's Diner in Stevenson for breakfast.

Pancakes so large they drape over platters (not plates)...

Bowls of oatmeal that go on for days...

And wonderful SMALL fresh-squeezed orange juice served filled to the brim in an extra-large cup.

After being served, it was obvious to both of us we were in a Lumberjack Restaurant.

Big thumb's up!

NOTE FROM ENCHANTING BELINDA - I'm going to have to give this part of the country an A+. I loved everything... the mountains, the weather, the food and the people.

I was going to take points off for waterfall humidity, but I kinda walked right into that one! Definitely NOT the fault of either state!

RANDOMNESS #2 - A Little Bit of Eden - I didn't see any of the Grandtots last week because of the trip, but below you will find a sweet new-to-you pic of the baby.



I hope y'all have an amazing low-humidity kind of week. Personally, that will be my one and only goal!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

Me - "I'm still tired from all the cross-fit this morning."

Friend - "It's pronounced 'croissant,' and you ate four of them."

"I just dry-shampooed and Febreezed my kids on the way out the door, so NO. I'm not really interested in your family's Morning Chore Chart, Debbie."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter