Saturday, December 15, 2018

Quotable Quotes AND Grand-Totting

Good Sunday morning!

How is your December going?

Getting a lot done?

Every room decorated?

Shopping finished?

Presents wrapped?

Cards sent?

Baking baked?

Yeah.

Me neither.

And I'll even be super-duper honest and tell you I've let it get me down some this month.

However, this past Tuesday was the day I pulled out my most favorite book of the Christmas season (Ann Voskamp's Unwrapping the Greatest Gift) and read December 11 - The Red Rope.

Not only is it my favorite Christmas book, but December 11 is my favorite part of my favorite Christmas book. It is the part about Rahab who was "the girl who had done bad things but gave her heart to the one good God."

Listen to the way Ann Voskamp describes Rahab's ancestry in a way only Ann Voskamp can...

"Rahab, who had a baby boy who would grow up to have a baby boy who would grow up to have a baby boy who would grow up to have a baby boy -- who would become the king of God's people. Which means that Rahab would be the great-great-grandmother of King David, the greatest king of God's people -- and Rahab would be the many, many, many-times great-grandmother of the greatest and most perfect King ever: Jesus. Jesus, who painted a rope red with His very own love, with His very own blood, and gives Himself to you like a red rope, whispers, 'No matter what you've done, hold on -- I love you, and I've got you.'"

It's true, you know.

When I am on top of my game and everything is going to plan (my plan), I don't see Jesus as clearly as when I have muddled through another day wondering, "Why isn't this working? Why am I not feeling the Christmas Spirit this year?" and it hits me like a five-pound pigeon dropped from the sky on the top of my head. (Another story for another time.)

I'm looking in the wrong places for Jesus.

He's not in a stack of carefully wrapped gifts placed under a perfectly lit Christmas tree...

Or beside a plate of cookies warm and fresh from the oven...

Or in a beautifully decorated store with Christmas music playing in the background.

I'm supposed to be looking in the manger...

In a simple stable.

The older I get, the more I crave "simple."

Simple anything.

Simple everything.

And I may be wrong, but I don't think this craving comes from laziness or weariness.

I think for me it comes down to this...

In a crazy world where too much news causes too much anxiety...

And too many people who know Christ as their personal Savior are not sharing what they know with people who do not know Him...

And too many situations in our lives are complicated and messy and overwhelming and out of control...

The answer is simply Jesus.

It always has been, and it always will be...

And when I remember that one truly important thing and live accordingly, "simple" is so much more obtainable.

Not just in December, but during the other 11 months, too.

Quotable Quotes - "Love like there's no tomorrow. And if tomorrow comes, love again." Max Lucado

RANDOMNESS - Grand-Totting 101 - Last week, Mikie took off a day from work. It was a mild December day, so I picked up the Grand-Tots for some outside playtime with Pop and Nana.

Pop disappeared around the corner of the house after a few minutes of running around the front yard, and returned with an active leaf blower.

Let it be known here and now, active leaf blowers and an almost two year-old boy is NOT the perfect combo Pop had originally imagined.

It didn't cause tears, and it didn't cause him NOT to try to activate it himself a little later, but it will not be making an appearance at his upcoming birthday party!

Judith's reaction was much more pleasing, so I made a mental note that "almost four year-old girls enjoy a portable wind machine."

After three minutes of the leaf blower, Pop turned his attention to a giant leaf pile.

Much, much more Grand-Tot friendly.

















Have a wonderful upcoming week. I'll be back before Christmas with one more post which will hopefully contain something of substance!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

P.S. Humorous tidbits...

"Before I had kids I thought I had a great immune system, but it turns out I was just really good at staying away from the type of people who sneeze directly into your eyeballs while telling you a story."

Me in November... I will make a beautifully hand-crafted gift for everyone I love.

Me in December... I only love two people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter