Friday, March 9, 2018

The Definition of "State Poor," Spending Time with RT, Auburn Basketball and Judith, Quotable Quotes, Chewy Coconut Cookies AND Pinterest Stuff (Family Fun Ideas)

Good Saturday morn!

RANDOMNESS #1 - The Definition of "State Poor" - From time to time, I will lament, "I am so state poor."

That means at the ripe ol' age of 56, I have only been to 16 states.

Out of 50...

Or 51 if you count Puerto Rico...

And I most definitely count Puerto Rico.

Or 52 if you count Washington, D.C...

And I most definitely count Washington, D.C.

See what I mean?

If we were in a math class (and I am SO glad we are not), my score would be 16/52.

That's an "F."

Heavy, heavy sigh.

When Mike and I discuss this horrible grade, he is always quick to ask, "Did you remember to count Indiana and Arizona and Arkansas? You would have 19/52 if that was the case."

To which I always reply, "No, I did NOT count Indiana or Arizona or Arkansas."

And now I will tell you why, even though I have actually set foot in those three states, I do not add them to my list.

Quite simply, I have never had a "life experience" in any of those states.

Mike and I accidentally crossed over into Indiana during a flood-like rain we were caught in while visiting Kentucky and Ohio last year, stopped at a CVS and bought an umbrella.

We were literally 2.4 miles into Indiana, and while my life is SIMPLE, I refuse to count buying an umbrella at a CVS as a life experience.

Thirty-one years ago, while flying to San Francisco, California with two of my girlfriends to meet up with another girlfriend who had recently moved there, our plane landed in Phoenix, Arizona. I disembarked and went to the nearest "place to get food" in the airport and scarfed down not one, BUT TWO, really delicious hot dogs before running and boarding the plane again and continuing our journey to California.

Good hot dogs, perhaps the best I've ever eaten, but still not a life experience.

A few years back, Mike, the kids and I spent a few days in Memphis, Tennessee doing Memphis-type things when we looked up at a nearby bridge and saw a sign that said, "Welcome to Arkansas."

"MIKE! I've never been to Arkansas! Do you think we can ride over the bridge?"

Exactly three minutes and forty-five seconds later, we were indeed in Arkansas...

And we stayed in Arkansas a grand total of 28 minutes because there wasn't a place to turn around to head back toward Memphis for 14 long minutes.

We didn't see a store, a sight, a gas station and nothing out of the ordinary happened that would officially qualify the State of Arkansas as a life experience.

For the record, I can also regale you with stories of the life experience(s) I've had in each of the 16 states I have visited and/or lived.

Fascinating stories all!

So there you have it. The Enchanting Belinda's definition of "state poor."

You'll be glad to know, I added Kentucky and Ohio to the list in 2017, and 2018 looks like it might be the Year of Illinois.

Slowly, but surely!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Spending Time With RT - Little Man is quite frankly a blur of activity and sounds. He is what "they" used to call "all boy," and I like that about him.

I like that very, very much.

We spent a little time playing on our enclosed deck on a recent rainy day.


He just looks so tiny and fragile in this picture...


But that would not describe him at all.

He is wide open walking, running, kicking balls and talking and yelling just for the sheer joy of it all.




He totally and completely "fits my mood" every single time I am with him.


I love to have cup walls set up when he or Judith come over because they love running through them.


And it's such a little thing...


But it makes them so happy.

And thus, it makes me pretty happy, too.

RANDOMNESS #4 - Auburn Basketball and Judith - So Mikie got tickets to the Auburn/South Carolina Basketball Game this past Saturday, and Judith and I ended up joining him and The Chick for one very exciting game.


Since it was Judith's first trip to The Plains, we decided our lunch restaurant should most definitely be Niffer's.

It was, and she liked it.

Basically, all you have to do to be a restaurant Judith enjoys is serve chicken fingers and mac and cheese.

Niffer's didn't disappoint.


Judith loved Aubie...


And watching the dancers...


And yelling with Pop...


And the confetti accidentally dropped from the top of the Arena before the game was officially over.


Basically, we went ahead and signed her up for housing and a Parking Pass for 2032.

Now THAT is going to be a very good year!

Quotable Quotes - I know everyone is missing Billy Graham this week, so I thought I'd share a quote from that fine, fine gentleman.

"The words of this Book have a way of filling in the missing pieces, of bridging the gaps, of turning the tarnished colors of our life to jewel-like brilliance. Learn to take your every problem to the Bible. Within its pages you will find the correct answers."

Chewy Coconut Cookies

You will need the following:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

3. In a separate bowl, use a mixer to combine the butter, sugars, egg and vanilla. Once that is combined well, slowly add the sifted flour mixture.

4. When the flour and egg batter are well incorporated, add the flaked coconut.

5. Once that is combined, drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until browned.

6. Let cool and serve.

Pinterest Stuff

Family Fun Ideas (Taken from The Dating Divas)

Hotel Pajama Party – You don’t have to go on a vacation or out of town to stay at a hotel. Surprise the kids by staying at a local hotel over-night. Watch for great deals and discounts on Groupon. If you pick a hotel with a pool, you can swim all day and then have a family pajama party at night.

Christmas in July – We love celebrating Christmas in July! There are so many ways you can do this... watch a Christmas movie, play Christmas music, make a holiday treat, draw a “Secret Santa” name, or get ahead of the game and start working on some homemade presents.

Park after Dark – One of my kids favorite parts about summer is that I’m not so strict about bedtime. You don’t have to get up early to catch the bus, might as well let them stay up a little late and enjoy sleeping in. For some after-hours fun, get a bunch of flashlights or glow gear and go play at the park. It’s only happened once so far but they loved it! Flashlight tag was their favorite after dark park game!

Have a wonderful March weekend. I will be back shortly with a ton more info on fun Spring stuff.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter