Saturday, August 19, 2017

Old Post Alert, Three-on-Three Basketball, Tuesdays with Judith (and Sometimes Sawyer), Spending Time with RT, One Sheet Pan Parmesan Crusted Salmon with Roasted Broccoli AND Weird National Holidays Coming Up (Official AND Unofficial)

Good Saturday evening!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Old Post Alert (First Posted in August of 2012) - I'm in my 50s. - There. I said it out loud... AND I wrote it on the blog. So it must be true.

The following is a list of "things" I noticed about my 50th year of life...

1. I had a really good "hair year" last year. I wore my hair a little longer and a lot bigger, but it suited my mood... even if it did take a lot more time to fix.

2. I realize Spanx or no Spanx, I am who I am. I need to embrace it... Or have emergency scissors and a special bracelet with instructions in case I pass out from lack of oxygen.

3. The ages 60 and 70 no longer seem "old" to me. In fact, they seem almost doable!

4. The person or persons who declared "40 is the new 30" and "50 is the new 40" should be shot. At once. Multiple times. But only in the foot. No need to become too violent this late in life. (I realize that may seem a little harsh, but so is waking up and realizing 50 is NOTHING like 40.)

5. Except for a little graying, Mikie still looks younger than me. And even though I love him, it gets on my last nerve.

6. Because I have been so "open and honest" about menopause and my "season of life," Roxie has decided to skip this season of life altogether. (If anyone can skip a season, it would be Roxie.)

7. I've accepted the fact I will never (intentionally) wear skinny jeans. I may wear "too tight" Mom jeans, but if you see me out and about, know they never, ever were skinny jeans.

8. I've also accepted the fact I will not be able to attend Body Pump classes until the day I die... unless, of course, I die while taking a Body Pump class.

9. I still adore and love my family, but I have to admit, they take up a lot of space... and oxygen. Oh. And food. They eat a LOT of food.

10. I've discovered the best way to apply make-up is to unscrew one of the three light bulbs over the sink in the bathroom. (I promise. It takes off two years, at least!) And I'm considering unscrewing another one to see if I can look 46 again!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Three-on-Three Basketball - Last Saturday, Austin's radio station (99.5 Talk) participated in a three-on-three basketball tournament for charity...

So I was able to take basketball pictures again...

Which I have sorely missed since The Chick stopped playing on a team.

A good time was had by all, and even though 99.5 didn't win the whole enchilada, they did win enough games to hold their heads high!

Also, RT was there.

And another also, RT's Uncle Payton (Melia's brother) played for 99.5, too, so it was most definitely a family affair.


Melia, RT and Austin.

You can tell Little Man is tired, but he didn't go to sleep the entire time. He loves basketball!










One more of tired Little Man, and his Daddy.


Is it just me, or does Mikie get cuter and cuter as the years roll along?

Love me some gray hair...

On Mikie.



RANDOMNESS #3 - Tuesdays with Judith (and Sometimes Sawyer) - We started out Tuesday with just me and Judith playing at the house.


This is one of my favorite toddler "hacks." Taping the color sheets to a floor where colors and markers wipe up easily, AND letting the two year-old hop from one pic to another is genius. Whoever thought of it, I tip my Nana B Hat to you!

Two year-olds are notorious for wanting to draw a line on a coloring page and immediately turning to the next page...

Again and again and again.

The whole coloring activity can last one or two minutes or less.

Tape five to ten pics on the floor and dump the crayons, and you've got yourself a five to ten-minute activity.

I worked in the kitchen a couple of feet from her, so I could supervise and talk.






It's a win-win!


Did I mention Sawyer was walking?

Did I?

He liked the Splash Pad when he was crawling, but walking around the Splash Pad...

Well, that is just too much fun.




Those eyelashes are real, by the way.


Judith overcame some timid moments.

Arms held high, she went through the most intimidating Splash Pad feature (the FIVE RINGS OF WATER) by herself.

She was so proud.


There's no better bouncy seat than Beebo's hand and arm.

There is also no better arm work-out than being Sawyer's bouncy seat.




Sawyer talked and talked and talked to Judith, and she listened politely and intently, but could make no sense of it all.

In the end, she put an apple in her mouth and nodded.

Verbal communication is highly overrated in Toddler World.

When in doubt, just eat an apple and nod.

RANDOMNESS #4 - Spending Time with RT - I can't pick a favorite "part" of RT.


Sometimes I think it is his hair...


And other times, I think it has to be his big, blue eyes.

Yes.

Definitely the eyes.


But then it hits me.

I'm quite fond of the whole package.

One Sheet Pan Parmesan Crusted Salmon with Roasted Broccoli

You will need the following for the broccoli:

1 1/4 pounds broccoli crowns, stems cut and reserved for another use, florets chopped into bite size pieces
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

You will need the following for the salmon:

4 (6 ounce) skinless salmon filets
1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Place broccoli in a mound in center of baking sheet. Pour olive oil over broccoli, along with garlic, and toss to evenly coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and spread near edges of baking sheet, leaving enough space in center to fit salmon filets. (If you like your broccoli more browned and roasted, let it roast for 5 minutes first then remove and spread to edges, this just gives it a head start. If you like it crisp, tender and slightly roasted then no pre-roasting needed.)

3. Season bottom of salmon with salt and pepper and place salmon in center of baking sheet, leaving about 3/4" between filets so they can evenly cook. In a mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic and brush about 1/2 tablespoon over each filet. Season top with salt and pepper.

4. In a mixing bowl, whisk together Parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley, lemon and thyme. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil into bowl and stir with a fork until evenly moistened.

5. Spread Parmesan mixture evenly over tops of salmon filets.

6. Bake in preheated oven until salmon filets have cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes (for a more golden crust you can broil during the last 1 to 2 minutes of baking, if needed).

Weird National Holidays Coming Up (Official AND Unofficial)

August 20
Chocolate Pecan Pie Day

August 21
Senior Citizens Day

August 24
National Waffle Day

August 26
National Dog Day

August 31
Eat Outside Day

Have a great weekend. I'll be back in a few with a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter