Friday, August 14, 2015

Weekend Happenings, Columbus, Georgia - Day Trip, Quotable Quotes and Pinterest Stuff (Lego Prayer Object Lesson)

Good Friday evening!

MISCELLANEOUS #1 - I guess you could say Roxie's move went off without a hitch.

Last Friday, we arrived, moved in, cleaned, made the bed, hung the curtains and organized the desk.

We ate lunch, went back to the dorm and did just a few more little, nit-picky things.

And then it was time to go.

Hugs were given.

No tears were shed.

And before Mike and I knew it, we were in the car driving 45 minutes to Columbus, Georgia where we had planned on spending the night and exploring the city on Saturday.

It felt pretty surreal.

I guess in my heart of hearts, I assumed we would drive back through Auburn late Saturday afternoon, load up The Chick and head back to The Dale.

We would say something like, "Well, we tried, but college just didn't work out for us."

And everyone would be happy.

Roxie would work and travel for a year...

And the next year, we would try "the college thing" again.

It didn't quite work out the way I had planned in my head.


Ragan came over Thursday before we moved to offer support AND give a few last minute hugs.


Roxie's roommate, Hannah, had already set up the ever-so-cute Coffee Station.


And Roxie added her super comfy chair to the mix...


As well as her super comfy home-away-from-home bed.

As of today, Mike and I are headed to The Plains for Bid Day. We will see The Chick for a little while before she goes in one direction and we head home.

Again, not the way I had originally envisioned it 18 years, 11 months and 13 days ago.

Not even a little bit.

But she is happy and excited to be starting this next Chapter in her life. (More on that below.)

MISCELLANEOUS #2 - Day Trip - Columbus, Georgia - Columbus has a lot of fun things to do, but since Mike and I are in our 50s and the temperature AND humidity were in the 100s, I made a Summer To-Do List AND a Fall To-Do List.

Just between you and me, I think the Fall List is going to be a lot more fun, and I will share that with you in its entirety NEXT FRIDAY!


First of all, we drove around the Historic District. Mike and I both enjoy doing this whenever we find ourselves in a new town.


Their version of Pepper Place Farmer's Market takes place in Uptown Columbus. There are a lot of funky little shops, tons of sculptures, street music, fountains, dressed-up dogs, fresh produce, etc., etc.





This wasn't our first choice, but because of the hot, HOT temps, we picked The Columbus Museum to browse, and believe it or not, it did not disappoint.


Mike and I are very much alike in that we do not "get" a lot of art.


We are also very much alike in that we like to make fun of art we do not "get."


We stayed an hour... but we could have stayed so much longer!


Usually, Mike and I stay away from chain restaurants when we visit new places, but Country's Barbecue was an exception. Mike remembered eating there when he was younger...

I had never heard of it...

And it was listed as a Top Five restaurant choice on every list we looked at regarding Columbus, Georgia eateries.

There were two Country's in Columbus, and I was so glad we chose this one. Originally, it had been the bus station. In fact, there was an old bus built onto the side of the building. It was part of the diner, but we had already sat down and ordered our food before I discovered we could have actually eaten on the bus.

Hindsight.

That's the story of my life, Baby.


Mike remembered the grilled corn on the cob, so we both ordered that item.

I also ordered the barbecue onions.

That was probably my only mistake on this whole trip.

"Just say NO," to barbecue onions.

That would be my advice to you.

You are welcome.


And this is the picture of me and Mike sitting ON the bus AFTER we had finished our lunch.

Such a cute place to dine.

I spotted this guy on the way to Auburn on Friday, and I made a mental note to find him on the way home.

Yes, these are the types of things I make mental notes about in my head.

Strange, but true.


Right before you get to Harpersville, you will see this giant frog on the left.


He isn't listed as the largest frog in the United States, but I have a feeling this may be an oversight.

Anyway, he is well worth a visit!

Again, we'll be talking about Columbus, Georgia a little more next week, too.

ROXIE - THE COLLEGE CHAPTER - Roxie has been gone for exactly one week today. She has been participating in Rush. Rush is a new thing to me, so instead of guiding her and giving her much-needed advice, I have been asking a lot of questions and trying to be very supportive.

As far as I can tell, Rush involves a great deal of "people" time. She has constantly been going and coming from events this past week, AND TODAY WAS BID DAY.

That means Mike, Hunter and I left for Auburn early this morning to participate in Bid Day.

Roxie and about 1,499 other girls ran into the Auburn Arena and within just a few minutes they all ran back out.












It is with great pleasure I introduce to you, Roxie... Chi O!

I think that's right.

I am not entirely sure.

Anyway, next week classes start, so I'll be able to tell you a little more about this transition we call "growing up, up and away."

Pinterest Stuff

I have found a lot of Object Lessons for kids on Pinterest in the last month or so.

Back in the day, I loved a good Object Lesson...

And just because my kids are all adults now doesn't seem to matter.

I still love them.

Object Lesson - Lego (or Duplo) Prayers

This prayer activity is suitable for groups of children or even a whole congregation as long as you have enough bricks! Have an adult or child lead the prayers for each group, however big...

You will need one Lego or Duplo brick per person

Hold your brick.

Pray for yourself. Thank God for the things he has given you. Ask Him to bless you and help you bless others.

Count the bumps on your brick.

For each bump on your brick, pray for a different person, friend or family member. Ask God to bless them this week.

Find someone who has a different color brick than you.

Thank God for making each person special.

Find someone with the same number of bumps on their brick.

Thank God for families and friends and all who care for us. Pray He will help us be friends to those who are lonely.

Swap your brick with someone.

Thank God for the person you swapped with, and ask God to bless them this week.

Put all of the bricks together and build a structure or tower with them.

Thank God for the church and the communities where we live. Pray He will help us include others and tell them they are loved by God.

Quotable Quotes

"A moment of patience during a moment of anger will save you a hundred moments of regret."

Weekend Happenings

1. As mentioned above, Mike, Hunter and I went to Auburn today, and we are just returning. (Thus, the late, late post.) Tonight, we are eating cereal AND watching Netflix.

2. We are hoping we get to see Josh Saturday around the lunch hour, and Saturday afternoon will be spent in a "crafty" manner, I think.

If the crafts turn out okay, I will share them with you next week.

If not, please pretend you never heard me speak of it.

Thank you.

3. On Sunday, we will go to Sunday School, church, have Sunday lunch...

And then rest up for Breakout Birmingham! I'll have all of those details for you next Friday, too, but until then, feel free to Google it...

And you will know as much as I do about this new entertainment venue.

Have a great weekend with you and yours. I'll be back next Friday with a little bit of leftover Summer stuff and much news about something!

Take care.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter