Friday, July 31, 2015

Weekend Happenings, Blog Linkage AND Restaurant Review (Hot and Hot Fish Club)

Good Friday afternoon!

MISCELLANEOUS #1 - We returned from our week-long Third Annual Lake Vacation this past Wednesday, and I have to say, when I weigh the pros and cons, it was the best one yet.

Here...

I'll show you.

Pros

1. The house was exactly what we wanted. Rambling... big dining spaces... big "watching movies together" spaces... gourmet kitchen (a treat for me)... AND rain forest shower heads.

2. The beds were like clouds. I couldn't wait to go to bed every night.

3. The water was just right. There was a really good swimming area at the end of our dock.

4. Fishing was good. Not perfect, but Mikie didn't catch his lip with a lure this year, so I wanted to put this one in the "Pros" section.

5. Tubing was fun.

6. Game nights were fun. I learned how to play Mexican Train Dominoes, and while I was an extremely good player, I didn't ultimately win any of the games.

Again, I almost put this under "Cons," but decided against it.

7. Austin and Melia prepared two meals. Josh prepared one. (Fun for me!)

8. Good weather for the most part.

9. Sunset boat rides in the cool of the evening are my favorite thing to do... EVER.

10. A total of ten family members and friends were able to visit with us sometime during the week... and there was room for everyone.

11. When Grandmother came for a visit, she and I were able to jump in the car and ride for ten minutes to visit some old friends we haven't seen in several years.

Cons

1. I have to learn to relax more. Melia told me her family vacation motto, and I think it is a good one for me to incorporate.

"If you're not having fun on vacation, it's your own fault."

It takes a lot of pressure off me, I tell you!

2. Josh was only able to come one day and night because of his work schedule. He's only been at this job for six months, so asking off or switching shifts isn't really an option at this point.

But next year...

Watch out, Baby!

He's going to take some vacation days!

3. The giant movie nights didn't happen. I thought we would play games AND watch a movie, but we are all much older now, so it turned into an either/or situation.

Movie OR games...

Because we are so old and tired, you see.

Not both.

4. The boat broke down our second morning at the lake. This was only a con because it happened at all. Mike found a great "boat guy," and the boat was up and running by the time lunch was over the same day.

And it didn't cost us an arm and a leg.

Actually, this does need to be in the "Pros" section, doesn't it?

5. Our last night there, I tripped and fell...

And dropped my precious camera.

There was a chance when I tripped I would fall in the soft green grass OR the hard rock walkway.

My body chose the hard rock walkway.

I guess technically this was a "Pro," too, because my camera wasn't broken...

And neither was I.

See.

When you look at the two lists, it's a no-brainer.

We are going to rent the same house again next year!

It has already been decided.
















Five seconds after we arrived, Mikie started picking out "his chair" for the week.


There were five girls in all the first night and day...

And I wish they could have stayed the entire time.

College-bound chicks are no trouble at all.


Hannah, Savanna, Ally, Roxie and Alyssa.


One of our views.


Josh.


Mike.


My favorite... a sunset.


One of many tubing pics.



Roxie and Hunter.


One of many couple pics.


Austin and Melia.


This was one of my favorite things.

It is a little island in the middle of the lake and at dusk, it is ALWAYS covered with white birds.

Not gray birds...

Not black birds...

Just white ones.



MISCELLANEOUS #2 - As of today, we have only 8 more days until we move Roxie into her dorm. I find I am still in denial, and whenever anyone starts talking about her imminent departure, I start humming... Cat in the Cradle... Sunrise, Sunset... Billy, Don't be a Hero... the theme from Brian's Song...

You get the idea.

Tons to do.

I am in list-makin' heaven.

I'll let you in on some "empty nest" thoughts in next Friday's post.

I have a lot of them.

Blog Linkage - Run over to www.kellehampton.com and read today's post about her Michigan vacation with her three kiddos. It makes me want to go to Michigan right away, and I can honestly say, I've never felt like that before!

Restaurant Review - Hot and Hot Fish Club - Mike and I went to this uber-stylish eatery with some people he works with, and it was SO good.

When we first arrived, we were seated in what I think was the main dining room. Pretty.

I kept it simple and ordered the Simple Grilled Fish which on this particular evening was Amberjack. (I looked at the menu this morning and it is Yellow Fin Tuna now, so obviously it changes from day to day.)

I shared Mike's appetizer because I didn't want to be too full for my Simple Grilled Fish. Let it be known, from now on I will just order his appetizer for my main course. It was called Tomato Salad, and it was fresh, light and delicious.

Let it also be known, I am not a raw tomato eater, but I would gladly eat two or three of these in one sitting and not feel the least bit guilty.

My Simple Grilled Amberjack was also wonderful, as was my dessert.

Mike and I are planning on going back for our anniversary in January...

Where I will dine on three Tomato Salads.

Check out the menu before you go, but I highly recommend this place!

Weekend Happenings

1. Tonight, Roxie will be with several thousand other young people at Motion15 downtown. Mike is scheduled to work on Austin's truck with him, and if nothing changes, Bev and I are going out to eat somewhere fantastic with Mom. (Do not be disappointed if I report next week we ate at Cracker Barrel. "Fantastic" is in the eye of the beholder.)

2. On Saturday, Roxie will again be attending Motion15. And if things work out the way I would like, Mike and I will be babysitting Judith for a few hours tomorrow night.

I am charging the camera battery as we speak.

3. Sunday is going to be a Roxie-intensive day. After church, we have a list of five must-have items for our move to Auburn. Five items is a pretty big list considering we do not shop over 20 minutes at a time.

I haven't mentioned the tricky part.

The five items are in four different stores...

In two different mall locations.

See...

Tricky!

If you do the math, and I highly recommend you do so you can fully appreciate the genius that is ME, that allows only five minutes per store (not counting travel time).

We can do it, but I'm afraid some medication might be required...

And a couple of ice coffees...

And a foot rub when we return home.

(And I'm talking about Roxie... not me.)

I'll be back next Friday with a lot of post-moving pics, I am sure.

I hope you and yours have an amazing weekend and week. Until Friday, take care!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely a fantastic place for a vacation!! And by all means, bring the tissues for moving day, and the camera!! Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter