Friday, May 15, 2015

Peach Dumplings

Good Friday morning!

MISCELLANEOUS #1 - For any moms out there who may not care for getting in the floor and playing games with your little ones, here are some suggestions I found which may make that time in your life a little easier/more pleasant/fun.

First, you are not a bad parent if you don't like to spend hours in the floor playing with your kid.

It is okay.

I happen to be a “little kid” person, so my most favorite ages to parent were birth to seven years of age. The "playing in the floor" stage was the most comfortable for me.

That just means different stages required me to work a little (or a lot) harder.

I was an okay “kid-kid” person.

I was an intimidated “middle school kid” person.

And I was at a total loss when it came to being a “teenage kid” person.

If you do not work harder during the stages in your kids' lives which you don't naturally excel...

Well, that might be a problem.

I have had three teenagers.

Two boys and one girl.

All different.

As was my practice, I practiced everything on Austin (my firstborn).

I tweaked everything on Joshua…

And I totally DID NOT try what had not worked on the first two with Roxie.

Needless to say, I am a better "teenage kid" parent RIGHT NOW, but I totally wish I had one or two more coming up so I could perfect my parenting skills for this stage before it is all said and done.

I have had to work much harder figuring out how to parent during the "teenage years" than I did during the "kid years."

So Fellow Moms...

Take heart!

If you are not a parent who enjoys getting in the floor and playing, your time is coming.

And until your time arrives (whatever stage of a child's development that may be), try these few ideas.

Take little breaks between your chores to spend one-on-one time. In between loading the dishwasher and making the beds, read four or five books to your little one.

After you scrub the tub, toilet and sink, add an inch or two of water to the tub, throw in some blue food coloring and dinosaurs and spend ten minutes in water play before heading to the next chore.

When you are cooking dinner, have a place prepared nearby with pots, pans and plastic spoons on the floor. Have kid music playing in the background, and spend that cooking time talking and singing with your little one(s).

Have a specific time of day to watch a show or DVD with your child. A 30-minute show in the morning and a 30-minute show or movie before or after dinner.

If you have mopped or scrubbed your kitchen floor recently, (weather permitting) there is nothing wrong with breakfast, lunch and/or dinner being served picnic style on the porch or deck.

This is automatically a fun thing AND something you would be doing anyway.

Folding clothes?

Put the little one(s) in a laundry basket close by and toss soft, stuffed animals and/or balls into the basket for them to throw back and forth.

While you fold, have your little one(s) reach into the dryer and bring nice, warm clothes to you for folding. Back and forth, back and forth.

Washing the car?

Two words... water play! Have sponges, buckets of soapy water and a hose nearby.

If you don’t want to take a nap when your child does, at least do something nice and quiet for yourself to help you have the energy to finish your day. Remember, you’re only halfway through the daily marathon when the kids go down, and you want to finish strong.

We have a very specific job as parents…

And it isn’t to be your child’s favorite playmate or friend.

It’s much more important than that.

"These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:6-9

What better way to teach these commandments than when you are holding them, loving them, working with them and playing with them. “Impress them.”

MISCELLANEOUS #2 - MotherWalk - My family participated in our fourth MotherWalk in as many years this past weekend.


Zac, Mike, Katie and T. J.


Don't ask.


This Chick was our youngest walker/stroller this year at four months old! We were proud to have Judith on our team.


Roxie and Grandmother.


Roxie and Hunter.


Tommy, Zac, Austin, Melia and Katie.


Roxie and Hunter (again).


Team Tootsie... 16 STRONG!


Tommy, Zac and Bev.

Zac volunteered to wear the Survivor's Tiara since it hurt Grandmother's head.

He is such a giver.

MISCELLANEOUS #3 - We celebrated Grandmother's Mother's Day Saturday. We celebrated Mrs. Faulkner's Mother's Day Sunday...

But before we left for Oxford, I wanted just a few pics of my corsage because I didn't think it would be alive Wednesday when I celebrated my Mother's Day with my kiddos.

Roxie jumped right in to help with photography suggestions.




What would I do without her?

MISCELLANEOUS #4 - Because of work schedules, we celebrated my Mother's Day at AllSteak in Cullman.

Austin, Melia and Josh had never eaten there before, so it was fun introducing them to the joys of the world-famous orange rolls.



They were impressed, to say the least!

Peach Dumplings

You will need the following:

1 1/2 (8 ounce) cans crescent rolls
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup orange soda
2 to 3 fresh peaches

1. Butter 8" x 8" baking dish.

2. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.

3. Peel peaches and cut each into 4 to 6 slices.

4. Roll each peach slice in a crescent roll and place in a buttered dish.

5. Melt butter, stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and vanilla. When it is thick, remove from heat and pour over the dumplings.

6. Pour the soda in the middle and along the edges of a pan (NOT over the rolls).

7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they become golden brown.

8. You can sprinkle more cinnamon/sugar on top of the baked dumplings if you like.

9. Serve warm over vanilla ice cream.


Oh, so good!

Have a great weekend, and I'll talk to you before month's end.

Take care!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

  1. Howdy from Andrea- so good to see you post about the annual motherwalk. Also do you have any plans for an at home grad party? I'm not getting any crafty creative vibes here and I trying to something small for my son... any ideas? 5 More days for us-- Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter