Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Weekend Wrap-Up, Roxie's Guatemala, Blog Linkage, Way Back When... (A Little Story About "Having Things Removed" and Ice Cream Drive), Honeybun Cake

Good Tuesday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Peach Park did not happen.

Go figure.

Here are some old Peach Park pics, so just pretend we went.

That's what I plan to do.





RANDOMNESS #2 - I'm still posting a pic a day on Instagram. Believe it or not, today's pic will be NUMBER 45!

I posted yesterday's pic last night... right before Austin and Melia came through the front door.



I rarely, if ever, have my phone on my person when I am in the house, so I missed the text Austin had sent 30 minutes prior.

"We're on our way home, and we have your pic of the day!"

ARGHHH!

I hate I missed it!

RANDOMNESS #3 - Roxie's Guatemala - Below are a few more pics and journal entries from Roxie's Guatemala trip.





Monday, June 9, 2014

This morning we went to El Tambor bright and early to finish the pastor's house. We had a deilcious breakfast... FINALLY. French Toast!

I actually shoveled a bunch for the house, and just about died.

We stayed in El Tambor all day, came back and had about an hour to go to the baby hospital. My little buddy, Emmanuel, got super excited whenever a bus came by! Cutest thing EVER!

After dinner, we had about a 30-minute wait for the bus. During that time, another youth group asked us to join them in worship by the pool which was amazing.

Tonight I pray that tomorrow I will take every moment possible to give God the glory for the sights I see, the activities I do and the work He does. Let me take full advantage of the vastness of His power.



Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Today we went to Livingston. It was not what I expected.

We rode the bus for about two hours, and then we rode the boat for about two more hours until we arrived at Livingston.

The actual town was a lot like Beale Street except much more poor. I bought a lot of souvenirs for everyone. Can't wait to get home, yet I don't want to leave.

After we shopped for an hour, we went to eat at this restaurant on the water. It was very good. Nice to have chicken and French fries.


We got home late and didn't get to minister at all. Disappointing.

Got to the room and cleared everything out in search of a scorpion because the boys found one in their room.

Tonight I pray the scorpions stay away!

All of this was posted with Roxie's permission, of course.

I'll have a little more Friday.

Blog Linkage - Head over to www.missionalmotherhood.com to read at least two new posts. Practical spiritual application for kids.

Way Back When...

The following two sections were first posted in July of 2009.

A Little Story About "Having Things Removed"

Last week, Mikie took me downtown to have a little "pigmentation" removed from under my tongue. It looked like someone had lifted my tongue and drawn a little line with a Sharpie. "Hmmm. That's a little odd-looking, isn't it?" That's what my dentist said. That's also what the oral surgeon said one week later. Not what you really want to hear, is it?

"Oh, I've seen a million of those... and it's called a __________... and when you have one it usually makes you smarter!" That's what you want to hear.

But since I wasn't getting the correct responses, I decided to have it removed. "You'll need to have someone here to drive you home because we have to put you to sleep." Ahh, man. Anesthesia... really?

"I have to have major surgery," I told Mike as I left the doctor's office that day.

"You mean they have to put you to sleep for a few seconds while they remove your Sharpie mark?" he calmly responded.

"I have to have an IV and EVERYTHING... AND they called it an ODD PIGMENTATION! That's how I'd like for it to be referred to from now on, please." I responded a little bitterly.

"Be honest. They asked you if you put an open Sharpie in your mouth recently, didn't they?"

"No," I lied.

Last Thursday, Mikie drove me to the doctor's office for my "major surgical procedure," and they took me back immediately.

My nurse kept asking me questions, and for the most part I answered her honestly. Then my anesthesiologist came in. You have to be careful how you answer this guy.

"Hello, Mrs. Faulkner. How are you today?" he asked.

"Fine," I answered as I braced myself for the inevitable onslaught of questions.

"Well, before we start your IV drip, Mrs. Faulkner, may I ask how much you weigh?"

I gave him my normal anesthesiologist answer. "I weigh 250 pounds."

Now this is a tricky one. Your main goal is to make sure you have enough anesthesia in your system to NOT wake up in the middle of the procedure. However, you do not want him to nod immediately and go to the next question taking your answer as the gospel truth.

"Really?" he said, glancing at me. "And how tall are you?"

"I'm about 6'5"... more or less," I responded with gusto.

"Really?" he said, again. Moving closer, he leaned down and said, "Mrs. Faulkner. It is evident you are NOT 6'5" OR 250 pounds. Now, do you want me to get your weight and height off your driver's license or do you want to start talking?"

Well, I DEFINITELY didn't want him to get my weight off my driver's license. There was no way he'd give me enough anesthesia to knock me out if he thought I was 5'3" and 130 pounds. (I always put my "enchanting" weight and height on my driver's license.)

In the end, he had the "correct" information and the procedure began. (Oh, did I mention this was a Two Parter? Sorry. I slipped a "blog teaser" in there, didn't I? You'll have to tune in Friday for the rest of the story.)

Ice Cream Drive

This idea was copied from Family Fun Magazine (August, 2000). A lady named Tawni Ballinger in Germantown, Tennessee wrote:

For the past several summers, my children and I have had the joy of turning our van into an ice cream truck, an idea my twin daughters came up with. We decorate our van with drawings of ice-cream cones and such, load up a cooler with frozen treats, and head out to the homes of friends and neighbors. A few phone calls ahead of time and a cowbell help announce our arrival.

The twist to the Ballinger Famly Ice Cream Truck, however, is that rather than take money for the frozen treats, they instead collect canned goods from their patrons. The following day, they drive to the food bank to deliver the supplies they've gathered. Not only is it a fun way to spend a sunny summer day, but they get to help others as well.

That's a pretty good Seasonal Tradition, isn't it? For years, the Faulkner Five have saved "charity" money and used it in November to buy something out of the Samaritan's Purse Magazine (Franklin Graham's charity). We like to buy chickens or a goat or part of a donkey for a family or village. (And Josh and Austin like to add a soccer ball or two with the "order.") Last year we used the money for a local charity. However, this is something a family could do in addition to saving "charity money" for a specific purpose. And it's something to do during the summer months for others... not just around the holiday season. I like it. I like it a lot.

Honeybun Cake

My sweet friend, Cindy Allen, made this cake for our Sunday School class a few weeks ago, and it was so good. I asked her for the recipe, and she obliged!

You will need the following:

Yellow cake mix
4 eggs
2/3 cup oil
1/3 cup water
8 ounce sour cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons milk

1. Mix cake mix, eggs, oil, water and sour cream and pour into greased 9" x 13" pan.

2. Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together. Sprinkle on top of cake batter and take a knife and swirl in and on top.

3. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.

4. Mix 1 cup of sifted confectioner's sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk. Drizzle over warm cake.

Tastes like a honeybun.

Actually, I liked it better than your normal honeybun!

Hey! I hope you have a lovely Tuesday. I'll be back Friday with a super long post including Weekend Happenings, Quotable Quotes, Roxie's Guatemala, etc.

Take care, and I'll talk to you the end of the week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, Belinda I do like how you keep the anesthesiologist on his toes. I will have to remember that next week when I get my crown done. Looking forward to part 2 and definitely wondering what that black line was and if the removal affected your taste buds at all. Granted it doesn't seem like it when you share a recipe about honey bun cake-- they are working just fine!! Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter