Thursday, December 22, 2011

Stay-at-Home Dates

Good Thursday morning!

The Gallery Pics are a few leftovers from the past weekend.

RANDOMNESS #1 - The Pioneer Woman had a Christmas Special on The Food Network this past weekend... and I missed it!

But lucky you AND me... I checked the local listings, and they are showing it one more time TODAY at 11:00 a.m. As soon as I post, I am setting my DVR so I can watch later this evening.

I just wanted to make sure you were "in the know."

RANDOMNESS #2 - The Christmas Card Count stands at 56. Please remember I will accept Christmas Cards until June, 2012.

RANDOMNESS #3 - Okay. I'm feeling the "panic," so today will be the day when I finish everything. I just need to buy a little something here... and a little something there. Nothing major, but definitely necessary.

And when my head hits the pillow tonight, everything will be bought, wrapped and ready. Yeah... right!

That leaves the little business of a manicure with Miss Roxie tomorrow morning AND some cookin'.

And Michael Buble crooning Christmas tunes in the background. Ahhh. I am loving me some Michael Buble this Christmas season!

RANDOMNESS #4 - My visit to The Chocolate Biscuit with friends yesterday was fun. I haven't been to The Chocolate Biscuit in a while, so I was surprised at the changes. I think I remember a fireplace and mantle on one wall... and lots and lots of twinkly lights... and Christmas music playing while I sipped delicious hot tea.

The Chocolate Biscuit has become a busy, booming little eatery, and while I missed the twinkly lights, the food was excellent. I had Cornbread Salad and Pepper Soup for the first time ever... and I liked them both very much.

Hot Orange Tea was the drink of the day, and it was SO good.

And, of course, we finished our Salad Sampler Plates and ordered Chocolate Biscuits AND Chocolate Cobbler.

Thankfully, some things NEVER change. Excellent!

Oh... And the company was delightful! I love catching up with my chick friends during the holidays... laughing and listening. It is always time well spent.

RANDOMNESS #5 - (This is part-two of a re-post from December, 2009.)

JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT - Continuing with my JUST A THOUGHT segment from yesterday, I have a little Austin story to share.

When Roxie was a babe, I began teaching a Christ-Centered Traditions class at our church. It was one of my 68 PASSIONS at the time. I always made sure everyone in class knew my family DID NOT do everything we were going to be discussing. No family could. It would be impossible. But I did try everything I could try, and I adopted some of the traditions for the Faulkner Five.

It was in the midst of this "Tradition-Trying Frenzy" Austin came home from elementary school one day and said, "I made a 95 on my vocabulary test."

"Very good," I said. "Which word did you miss?"

"'Tradition,'" he said, looking out the window.

My mouth fell open. "What do you mean you missed 'tradition'?"

"I got it wrong. I didn't know what it meant. I've never heard the word before."

I pulled into a gas station parking lot. Trying to breathe evenly, I turned around in the seat so I could make and hold eye contact. "What do we do every year the day after Thanksgiving? Where do we go every 4th of July? What do we do when we get there? What do we eat every Christmas Eve for dinner? What do we stick all over your Daddy's truck every Valentine's Eve night? What flavor birthday cake do you have every year?" The questions kept coming.

"Wait! Wait! I know the answer to some of those questions. You're going too fast," he interrupted.

"Those are 'traditions.' Those are events and happenings and celebrations the Faulkner Five 'do' EVERY SINGLE YEAR without fail!"

"Well, if the question had been worded different(ly), I would have gotten that one right," he responded, and he settled back into his seat.

Fair enough. It wasn't my fault. The blame could be placed solely on his teacher... who knew me... and knew I taught a traditions class... and thought the whole thing was very, very funny.

And that, my friends, is the reason I will NOT ask Austin the question, "Not counting God, what is the most important thing in my life?" I'm truly afraid of what the answer might be.

Blog Linkage - Oh, the things I have to share with you today. Get busy. There are some things to read, but lots of stuff to see, too.

1. Go to www.funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com and scroll down to the post entitled "An all natural junk-filled 2011 Christmas reveal" dated December 5. I LOVE the stepladder tree. Very cute.

2. Go to www.sweetsomethingdesign.blogspot.com and scroll down to the post entitled "Christmas Tour 2011" dated December 14. They have the perfect Hot Chocolate Bar set up for me to use as a "go-by."

3. Go to www.eclecticallyvintage.com and scroll down to the post entitled "I'll be home for the Christmas Open House Tour" dated December 12. There are so many good pictures in this post, but I especially liked the ladder tree, the marshmallow wreath and the fish bowls. Cute AND inexpensive.

4. Click on Dating Divas under My Blog List and read the post entitled "Cheese Party" dated December 19. It shows you how to throw a Cheese Party. Fun... and delicious.

5. Go to www.andersonfamilycrew.blogspot.com and read the post entitled "6 kids in 1 picture" dated December 20. This chick had three LITTLE boys and one little girl... adopted a little girl from Ethiopia... found out she was pregnant DAYS after the little girl came home... and gave birth to a beautiful NEW little girl a few days ago. What a Christmas they are going to have!

Enjoy!

Stay-at-Home Dates

If you are like me, sometimes the thought of "going out" one more time during this busy season is more than you can bear.

Enjoy the FIVE FREE Stay-at-Home Dates listed below...

1. Have a movie marathon. Pick a theme (Christmas, movie series, etc.). Put on your pajamas, climb into the bed (with only one kiddo at a time, please), and enjoy your movie selection. Popcorn and beverages are a must!

2. Ski on your Wii. Again, make sure this is one-on-one time.

3. Decorate your child's bedroom door for the holidays. You can cover the entire door with wrapping paper, or spend some time making holiday pictures. (Painting on aluminum foil makes festive pictures and it doesn't take hours. It dries quickly, too.)

4. Make place cards for your family’s holiday meal. Have a plan and the craft supplies ready. This one-on-one time is not only fun, but it will be useful, too.

5. Bake your favorite cookie. That's right. More baking. But this time, fill a few plates with warm cookies, hop in the car and ding-dong ditch some of your child's best friends.

Have a tremendous Thursday. Enjoy the last few days of this Christmas season. (Don't forget to BREATHE!) I'll be back tomorrow with Weekend Happenings (which will probably be very similar to YOUR Weekend Happenings).

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter