Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Blog Linkage, A Little Christmas Memory AND A Little Train Ride in Our Christmas Jammies

Good Tuesday morning!

Before you say anything, I know the above pic is a leftover from Thanksgiving...

But I just really liked it!

Blog Linkage - Go to www.ellaclaireblog.com and read this past Wednesday's Post entitled, "Easy Elegance Wednesday Features." She has beautiful photos AND eight other blog links (from a House Tour to DIY instructions on homemade wrapping paper and garland). Really great post!

RANDOMNESS #1 - A Little Christmas Memory - This past Sunday night, St. Martin's in the Pines hosted Christmas in the Pines. When the kids were little, this was one of those events Mike and I took them to each year, and we would go from the nursing home to assisted living to the apartments. Each section of St. Martin's had their own entertainment and food and decorations. The boys never hesitated when told we were going to Christmas in the Pines because for them it was a graze-fest, and they were in their element piling chicken fingers, pigs-in-a-blanket, sausage balls, miniature desserts and other wonderful party foods on not one plate, but many, many plates.

And punch!

Don't get me started on the punch.

It was one of the best afternoons of the year!

On the particular year I am reminiscing about today, Josh was six, Austin was eight (almost nine) and Roxie was three. They were all dressed in their Christmas best, and we started our visit in the nursing home. The big room was crowded with residents, and we arrived in time for a big old-fashioned Christmas sing-along.

Roxie stood beside me quietly. She wasn't a "shy" child, but there was a lot going on so she was still holding my hand.

I remember a white-haired woman in a wheelchair sitting near us. She was wearing her Christmas finery with matching jewelry. She had bright eyes and even brighter red lipstick.

She was lovely.

Roxie noticed her too, and when she waved for us to come closer, Roxie didn't hesitate.

We talked to her for a few moments, and Roxie held her hand and smiled and just kept looking and listening so intently, I was really impressed.

And then it hit me. At three, Roxie was all about lipstick, and many times when we were in a hurry when she wanted lipstick, instead of finding her special "chapstick," I would hold her little face in my hands and kiss her right on her lips...

And tell her to smack.

That was our little application shortcut.

And I could tell watching her, she was mesmerized by that bright red lipstick.

The lady's son was standing behind her while we talked, and after a few minutes, he leaned down and said, "Mother... It's time to go back to the room."

I told Roxie, "Honey... Say good-bye."

And what happened next is my Little Christmas Memory for today.

Roxie put her little feet on the wheelchair "steps" and climbed into that unsuspecting woman's lap...

Held her face between her two chubby hands...

And kissed her full on the mouth.

Then she leaned her head back from the kiss while still holding the lady's face...

Looked up at me and went "SMACK!"

It happened very quickly, and even though I thought I had figured out what she was thinking during the conversation, I had not imagined her acting in this way.

EVER.

The lady was taken aback, but she was smiling from ear to ear and giggling. She held her arms out wide, and before Roxie climbed off of her, the two shared a big bear hug.

I looked at the son to apologize, but before I could say anything, he simply said, "That was a wonderful Christmas present for my Mama! Wasn't it Mama?"

And with that, the beautiful white-haired lady...

With the bright eyes and even brighter red lipstick...

Waved her hands at us and with a big smile whispered, "Merry Christmas!"

DISCLAIMER - I was absolutely horrified/mortified this happened on my watch, and while it played out in slow motion in front of my very eyes, in actuality, Roxie was an extremely fast Little Chick, and I honestly believe it was only three seconds or less from start to finish...

Including the final "SMACK!"

After we left that day, we had many conversations, mini-seminars if you will, about NEVER kissing people (young or old) on the lips EVER AGAIN.

And to make EXTRA sure it would not happen again, I made a point of ALWAYS applying her chapstick the proper way before she walked out the door going anywhere we might encounter a "walking/talking lipstick."

As far as I know, this was a "one and done" episode, and if you know any differently, I would ask you to please just keep it to yourself.

RANDOMNESS #2 - A Little Train Ride in Our Christmas Jammies - We went to Calera this past week to take a ride on the Polar Express.




It was kinda awesome, I tell you!

Sara Grace, Judith and Eden's cousin, came along, and a good time was had by all.


Not to mention, it was Eden's first time to ride a train.












There was even some dancing in the aisles.


And just when you thought things couldn't get any better...


Mrs. Clause and Santa stopped by!

Not pictured...

The elves delivering chocolate milk and chocolate chip cookies.

I couldn't manage taking the pic because my hands were full of things other than my camera.

Did I mention one of the nicest things about riding The Polar Express would have to be...

The elves deliver chocolate milk and chocolate chip cookies to the Nanas and the Pops, too.

I hope everyone has a very good "second week of December." I still have much to do, but The Chick came home for break yesterday...

And some things may have to wait until we catch up a little bit.

Talk to you soon.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter