Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Friend Reunion

Good Wednesday morning!

Slim pickins' in the Gallery today. My camera will be hung around my neck all day in case I stumble upon something photo-worthy. (My neck will be killing me in the morning.)

RANDOMNESS #1 - Today's post is completely and utterly inspired (copied, lifted, etc.) by The Pioneer Woman. Wednesday Wisdom AND the Seasonal Tradition come straight from her blog. I enjoyed them, so I assumed you would, too.

And I didn't take credit for them. No, sir. If anything, I would like for you to take some time every day to enjoy her blog and pictures... just as I do.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Yesterday, I shared some insights I have gained this summer from having practically grown and teenage children coming in and out of the house through an invisible revolving door.

I wrote about (Code for COMPLAINED ABOUT) how different things were this summer, and how difficult it was becoming to schedule family time with the ENTIRE family. Today, as promised, I will share two more Insights and two more Semi-Solutions I am working on as this is going to press!

It ain't easy, and take these comments for what they are worth... A self-described "preschool" Mom's attempt to SQUEEZE as much family time out of a quickly-emptying nest as possible.

Wish me luck!

Insight #5 - Not only do I want our family to stay close, but I really want the siblings to stay close as they enter adulthood... and beyond. All three of them are at such different stages in life. All three of them can easily become so wrapped up in what is happening in their own little world, it would be easy (and normal) for them to forget "the other guy."

Semi-Solution - If only two of the kids are home during the lunch hour, I either suggest they go out to eat together OR I make sure they eat lunch at the kitchen table together. No texting. No earphones. Just the two of them... talking.

If only two of the kids are home after dinner, I suggest they go to a movie together. The best part of this plan is they usually call their two cousins and have them meet at the theater. Cousin Time!

You may think this sounds a little expensive, but everyone is working this summer, and everyone has their own stash. This is a time in their lives when they can afford a movie and popcorn with siblings and cousins at the spur of the moment. Not ten years down the road when they have a mortgage and three kiddos at home.

Insight #6 - I am not the only Mom who feels this sense of loss, or "What's next?" or "How do I slow this "time thing" down a little?" Nope. I am in very good company.

Semi-Solution - Spend time with a friend or friends who are going through the same stage of life you are. I did that for a little while yesterday, and while my kids didn't revert back to cute, chubby, freckle-faced little toddlers while I was at lunch, it was comforting to know I wasn't "THE ONLY ONE."

Wednesday Wisdom - These nuggets came straight from The Pioneer Woman's Twitter account. (No. I do not Twitter. However, The Pioneer Woman's Tweets show up on her sidebar.) Usually, the Tweets are pretty funny or informative. Today, they hit the nail on the head... for me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stretching feels so much better at 42 than it did at 24. It's almost medicinal. (This is SO true. Stretching is my favorite part of Body Pump. A good stretch can make me smile for almost 30 seconds straight.)

If food were people, my best friend would definitely be chuck roast. (My best friend would be the Great Wall of China Chocolate Cake from P. F. Chang's. Just saying.)

Friend Reunion

There are people who actually do this. After 20 years, I decided to start calling some of my old work buddies, and we have enjoyed several lunches together... and I hope we'll enjoy many more.

But The Pioneer Woman is consistent, and I like consistent even though it is a trait that slips through my fingers from time to time.

I also enjoy looking forward to a fun annual event.

Below is an excerpt from The Pioneer Woman's post dated July 12.

"Every summer, my closest, oldest friends descend on the ranch for a weekend of food, fun, and frivolity. And fellowship and Fritos and freedom.

"Girls come from far and wide – California, Wisconsin, Georgia, Indiana, Texas, Washington – and it’s always so much fun when everyone arrives.

"If you have the occasion to get together with old friends, even if you haven’t seen them in years, can’t imagine you have anything in common and don’t think you have anything to talk about, give it a try. Twenty years passed after high school before my friends and I started getting together every summer.

"And now, not one of us can imagine how we ever lived without it."

It doesn't happen by itself. Someone has to be the first one to call, text, e-mail, Facebook, etc. But it is so worth the effort.

And it is something you could actually start TODAY!

Have a great Wednesday. I'll have a date and some Blog Linkage tomorrow morning. (No surprise there!)

Take care, and I'll talk to you bright and early Thursday.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter