Thursday, August 30, 2018

Marble Cake, A Day with Little Man, A Day with Judith AND I AM SO MUCH CLOSER TO 60 TODAY THAN I WAS LAST SATURDAY

Good Thursday evening!

I made this cake (below) last week, and although it is not a "simple" recipe (lots of steps and ingredients), the final result makes it kinda worth the trouble.

Also, if you are just looking for something simple AND delicious, I suggest just making the frosting, storing it in the refrigerator with a big ol' spoon and taking a lick or two every time you go into the kitchen. I realize that is probably frowned upon by a lot of people, but that's kinda worth the trouble, too.

Marble Cake

You will need the following for the cake:

2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
4 large egg yolks, room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
4 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

You will need the following for the frosting:

1 and 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3 and 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup natural unsweetened or Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream, half-and-half OR whole milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or lightly butter two 9-inch cake pans. Set aside.

2. Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

3. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed in a large bowl until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the granulated and brown sugars and beat on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes until creamed. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed. With the mixer running on low speed, add the eggs, then the egg yolks one at a time. Then add the vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not overmix. Use a whisk to rid any large lumps, if needed. The batter will be slightly thick.

4. Remove 1 cup of yellow batter and pour into a medium bowl. Melt 4 ounces of chocolate in the microwave, stopping and stirring every 20 seconds until completely smooth. Pour chocolate into the 1 cup of yellow batter you set aside and stir until combined.

5. Pour an even layer of the yellow batter into each cake pan. Spoon chocolate batter on top. Pour remaining yellow batter on top of the chocolate. Using a knife, swirl the two batters together. Don't worry if it's not perfect.

6. Bake the layers for 22 to 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one cake comes out clean. Mine usually take 24 minutes. During bake time, loosely cover the cakes with aluminum foil if you find the tops are browning too quickly. Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack.

7. Frosting - With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter on high speed in a large bowl until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla and cream with the mixer running on low. Once added, increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes. Add 1 to 2 more tablespoons confectioners' sugar if frosting is too thin, or 1 to 2 more tablespoons of cream if frosting is too thick. Taste the frosting and add a pinch more salt if it's too sweet.

8. To frost and assemble cake, level cakes with a knife to create a flat surface, if needed. Place 1 cake layer on a cake stand or large serving plate. Evenly spread about 3/4 cup frosting on top. Top with second cake and spread the remaining frosting all over the sides and top.

NOTE FROM ENCHANTING BELINDA - This is a very good "company cake." I will most definitely make it again.

RANDOMNESS #1 - A Day with Little Man... is a day very well spent.


If you look closely, you will see a matchbox car in each hand.

His number one passion at this moment (at less than two years of age) is cars.


Toddler hair styles and toothy grins come in at two and three.

RANDOMNESS #2 - A Day with Judith... see above and DITTO!


Judith loves a good purple popsicle...


And I love it, too, when it's eaten in a bubbly tub.


Pop is now a salon technician at Nana B's Spa.


Instead of honey buns, he gives "shoulder rides" while the nails dry.

I may have to increase his salary.

RANDOMNESS #3 - I AM SO MUCH CLOSER TO 60 TODAY THAN I WAS LAST SATURDAY - As you may have gathered from the title of this Randomness, I recently had a birthday.

It was my 57th birthday.

Don't get me wrong. I am most thankful, but it was a little unnerving when Mikie turned 57 years-old this past June, and it didn't bother him when I called him an "older gentleman." He sees every birthday as an opportunity to cash in on yet another Senior Discount, and chuckles happily when any establishment takes ten percent OR more off of his total bill.

I, on the other hand, will go back to a long movie line after I notice a Senior Ticket in my hand and demand to know how old they think I am.

Why wasn't I asked if I was 55, 62 or 65 BEFORE they gave me the discount?

I'll tell you right now, if the Senior Age isn't 55, I won't qualify for a few more years, and I will pay the extra $2...

Thank you very much!

Honestly, after that confrontation with a 17 year-old ticket taker transpires, I'm usually not in the mood to see a movie, but Mikie tempts me with Senior Discounted Popcorn and soda pop.

(When you are 57, people expect you to say things like soda pop.)

Heavy, heavy sigh.

Let's move on, shall we?

On the day of my 57th birthday, I chose to go to Stix with the family so I could watch the Grand-Tots' reactions to the "fire table."

It did not disappoint.
















I loved our guy/cook/entertainer. His name was Tiger, and he put on a wonderful show.

And he didn't throw a shrimp at my face.

That's always a plus.


I love me some kissin' cousins.


Yes, I certainly do!

After lunch, the guys and Judith went to the house and Roxie, Melia, Courtney and I went to Sips n' Strokes in Cullman to paint a cross.








Two hours after arriving, I decided to declare it...

Painting is not my "thang."

Even with a lot of one-on-one instruction and encouragement.

Do not worry.

I'm thinking I may give origami a try.

Have a wonderful LONG weekend, and I'll try to do the same. I will talk to y'all soon!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter