Thursday, April 19, 2012

State Park Date

Good Thursday morning!

Pictures of Baked Oatmeal (with bananas, strawberries and chocolate chips) are in the Gallery today. I made it last night, so it could just be heated up this morning. It's better straight out of the oven, but I enjoyed my oats this morning, as well!

RANDOMNESS #1 - We're in Graduation Mode around here. Josh is fast approaching his last day of high school, and we are all thrilled. It has been a long road, but he can see the light at the end of the tunnel now... and he is ready.

I'm meeting him and his prom date at the tuxedo rental place this afternoon. Another milestone. Another bittersweet moment in the life of a mom of teenagers.

Josh has always rocked a tux, but this one may have purple accessories. I have no doubt he'll rock the purple, too.

It's most definitely an exciting event... one of many to come over the next few days.

I'm already reminding myself to breathe... and enjoy the moment. "Don't think about tomorrow. Just 'take in' today."

It's good advice. I hope I pay attention.

RANDOMNESS #2 - You've seen the "Hugs" books, haven't you? Hugs for Moms... Hugs for Pet Lovers... Hugs for Women on the Go... Hugs for Coffee Lovers. There are many, many more.

I have a Hugs for Scrapbookers book, and I really like some of the things it says to me. I've been a scrapbooker for 19 years now, and I kept plain, ol' photo albums prior to that time.

Scrapbooking is one of the best ways I've ever spent my time... ever. I can especially say that now as my children are almost grown, and I have so many memories (the good, the bad and the ugly) recorded for me... and for them.

I always hear scrapbookers talk about being "behind," but I can honestly say I've never felt that way. To the contrary, I feel if I ever catch up, that will mean fewer and fewer memories are being made. The kids will be working, raising their own families and living their own lives, and while I'll still be recording any and everything I possibly can with my camera, it will not be the same as living with a family of five (and two beagles) on a day-to-day basis.

Nope. It will be different.

I hope I never catch up!

Remember your history and your heritage.
Reflect on the good things in your life.
Think about truth and goodness.
Contemplate things that are right, pure and lovely.
Have an attitude of gratitude for all I've done for you.
May faithfulness is your rock through all generations.

Taken from Deuteronomy 32:7; Philippians 4:8; Psalm 100:5.

Blog Linkage - I have some good stuff to share today.

1. Go to eighteen25 under My Blog List and scroll down, down, down the sidebar until you reach the Search Box. Type "Berry Basket Gift Idea" in the box and hit Search. It will pop up at the top of the page. Great idea for a Teacher Gift for the end of school.

2. Go to The Dating Divas under My Blog List and read today's post entitled "Anniversary Gifts." When you finish looking at all the good ideas, go to the Search Box on the sidebar and type "Anniversary Week." Several posts will pop up. Read them all. Tons of great ideas for upcoming anniversaries. Tons, I tell you!

3. Go to Confessions of a Pioneer Woman under My Blog List. Click on "Photography" at the top of her page. Ree's having a Phone Photo Contest. I always like the contests.

Enjoy!

State Park Date

I've done the State Park thing several times, but they are always offering "new" stuff to do on beautiful Spring Saturdays... and I just couldn't resist giving you some ideas from their website.

Whether we are camping or not, I've always enjoyed visiting the State Parks for many different events and reasons.

1. Basket Making - DeSoto State Park

Join Arlene McGowan to learn the basics of basketry and create your own cracker basket.

Date - Saturday, April 21, 2012
Where - Little River Canyon Center in Fort Payne, Alabama
Time - 10:00 a..m. - 2:00 p.m.
Fee - $30* per person (*May be an additional supply fee.)
Pre-registration required.
Call (256)782-8010 or e-mail fieldschool@jsu.edu for more details.

2. Build a Bluebird House - DeSoto State Park

Bluebirds are lovely, social, mosquito-eating feathered friends. Learn to attract them to your yard or garden. Canyon Center Volunteer, Mickey Luck, will teach participants how to build their very own blue bird house. Hands-on fun!

Date - Saturday, April 21, 2012
Where - Meet at Little River Canyon Center in Fort Payne, Alabama
Time - 10 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Fee - $15 per bird house
Pre-registration required.
Call (256)782-8010 or e-mail fieldschool@jsu.edu for more details.

3. Rendezvous at the Rim - DeSoto State Park

Little River Canyon will celebrate Earth Day 2012 on Saturday, April 21 with a day of guided walks, activities, food and fun for everyone to enjoy. Rendezvous at the Rim will bring together nature lovers, outdoor enthusiasts and park rangers to honor one of Alabama’s natural wonders. This family-friendly event kicks off National Park Week which lasts through April 29.

Rendezvous at the Rim is a joint effort by the Little River Canyon National Preserve and the Friends of the Preserve. This first annual event is an opportunity to experience the scenery and to learn about native animals, geology and the skills needed to care for the Canyon and the more than 200,000 people that visit each year.

Learn how Park Rangers fight forest fires and prepare for rescues. Talk to Rangers that build trails and make the park a welcoming place to visit. Come along on guided history hikes ideal for children and adults.

Put your new knowledge to use by becoming a Junior Ranger while earning a special Junior Ranger Badge. The Junior Ranger Program was created by the National Park Service to provide kids between the ages of 6 and 12 years-old with hands-on, in-depth information about the resources that our parks protect.

Activities will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Little River Falls along Highway 35.

Call (256)845-9605 for more information.

4. Guided Hike - Lake Guntersville State Park

King's Chapel Trail is a short 1.6 mile hike from the park road to an old cemetery.

Date - Saturday, April 28, 2012
Where - Meet at the trailhead parking area.
Time - 9 a.m.
Call (256)571-5440 or e-mail patti.donnellan@dcnr.alabama.gov for more information.

5. Guided Hike - Lake Guntersville State Park

The Chalet and Loop Trail connects the campground with the chalets. You will be able to see beautiful limestone formations, large trees and ferns. Meet in the lobby on the Lodge.

Date - Saturday, May 5, 2012
Where - Meet in the lobby of the Lodge.
Time - 9 a.m.
Call (256)571-5440 or e-mail patti.donnellan@dcnr.alabama.gov for more information.

You'll get to spend tons of time with your little one on the drive to and from, during the activity and sharing a meal together before heading home.

Get busy and plan your State Park Date... today!

Have a purposeful Thursday. Get a lot done. Call someone who is on your mind and your heart. Spend some time encouraging another. Make Thursday COUNT!

Wow! We've got a lot to do today. Let's get busy!

Weekend Happenings tomorrow. You don't want to miss that, do you? I didn't think so!

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter